83.52/100
L3093CM000
09 Mar 2013 7:54 pm
ColoredChillfiltered

Whisky Reviews for Talisker Port Ruighe

138 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.52 points

1. EinSpatzUnterVielen scored this whisky 77 points Expert Senior

In intensity of departure, although clearly superior to the Tomatin 14, but not really my thing. The sour wine notes and the smoke do not go well together, I think. Out of round, patched port notes, too bitter; the DE is miles better. I wish the finish would be shorter ... it gets more and more disgusting. Not my cup of painting.
      Smoke, wine, gummy, sour, cherries, freshly toasted bread, cranberries, menthol, salt, nose stings
    • Taste
      oily, slightly spicy, orange, lemon, vanilla, ginger, pepper, smoke, cherries, cranberries, coffee, leather
      long, smoky, earthy-dirty, sweetish, sourish, slightly musty, orange, pepper, very strong mocha, leather, menthol, salt, burnt toast, licorice, tar

2. dRambo scored this whisky 74 points Connoisseur

I do not have much to do with whisky anymore.

3. Gloin scored this whisky 81 points Expert Senior

All in all, I like the Port Ruighe quite well, but there are clear points deductions for the finish and I think I also notice the lack of maturity. It tastes good to me, enjoyment sets in, but without enthusiasm. Tasted in 2013
      In the nose, I notice a soft smoke, but my brain quickly fades out. Behind it, I find a sweet, floral-fruity smell, almost like a sinful, a bit obscene woman's perfume. Somewhat hidden I find again the anise, which I rediscover in almost every Talisker and a slight reminder of the sea. But maybe that's just my imagination, because I know what I have in my glass.
    • Taste
      The taste shows me two very different impressions, on the one hand my tongue is greeted by a clear sparkling sharpness and I'm pretty sure it's not the alcohol. On the other side, the smell is confirmed with a flowery sweetness. I have associations of whole milk chocolate with chilli and candied rose petals.
      The finish disappoints me. A short sweetness is still there, but in the end there is only an unpleasant bitterness that I did not have in my mouth.

4. Svarttt scored this whisky 82 points Expert Junior

In contrast to some pans, I like it very much. You can't expect miracles from a Port Finish NAS, but it does what it's supposed to do well. Also nice with the cigar.
    A decent young talisker.

5. larswehmeier scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

Great price-performance ratio. Nice combination of sweet port finish and strong smoke.
      Aromatic campfire smoke. Pleasantly spicy oak. Behind it then fruity sweet. Harmonious and varied nose.
    • Taste
      Pleasantly spicy. Alternating wine-sweet and savory smoky. The famous "chili catch" seems a bit peppery for me.
      Is getting drier. A touch of metal. But remains aromatic, smoky and spicy.

6. WhiskyJoey1211 scored this whisky 79 points Expert Junior

A very juicy and lightly peated Talisker, however, there are a couple of flaws with the whisky that can't be ignored. Still a fun and tasty whisky for casual drinking and exploring sweet smoke whiskies!

(N = Neat, W = With water)
      N: Soft smoke with a red wine sweetness coming through, red berries, a hint of floral note in the background.

W: More ashy notes and less fruity overall.
    • Taste
      N: Fairly thin, with more soft smoke and red berries coming through, with a light pepper spiciness and hints of milk chocolate on the palate.

W: Less spiciness, with the light ash taking precedence over the berry sweetness.
      N: Quite short, lingering soft spices and fading into light ash. This whisky should not have been chill filtered (which I believe it is), and that alone may improve the length.

W: Slightly longer, with the light ash from the taste carrying on through to the finish. My comment above regarding chill filtration in this whisky still stands.

7. sarthur71 scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

8. Auriverdes scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

9. nallacam scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

10. DanishDistilled scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

Reminds me a lot of other Taliskers. I dont think that any wine is pronounced in the nose.
      Fruits and caramel.
    • Taste
      Again, reminds me a lot of a regular Talisker Skye, perhaps. Port notes are there, but only barely.
      Here, the grape notes come forward. Comparable to the Talisker 2002 Amoroso DE.