Talisker Port Ruighe

L7205CM000 54848432
12 Nov 2017 9:01 pm by Hubertus
Colored

Whisky Reviews for Talisker Port Ruighe

5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.39 points

1. ailean scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

2. TP_Wtr scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

3. YuraLM scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

Light smoke, freshness of sea, white chocolate, dogwood, red berries, red currant, very fresh
    • Taste
      Porto wine, bitter chocolate, red berries
      Long-lasting, prunes, red berries, dogwood than light smoke

4. tomjcollins85 scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

I originally reviewed this fresh from opening the bottle. After 3 months I decided to have another go on it, and I was much more impressed with it. It's developed well.

With that said, it is let down slightly in the mouth, which is a shame because it has a great nose. It's an easy-sipper and I would have no problem drinking it again, however, as there are so many port-finish options out there, I would be inclined to work my way round before purchasing again. Overall this is lovely, easy to drink, but it falls short of excelling.
      Assuming you like port (why would you buy this if you don't!!?), the nose is absolutely fantastic. I'd go as far saying it's one of my favourites. Lots of port, raisins, caramel, some smoke (but not as much as you may expect). It does seem that the mild peat and port go together very well. If this nose continued in the mouth, it would probably be my favourite dram; no questions asked.
    • Taste
      In the mouth we get a medium-sweet introduction, which is not particularly thick-coating. I actually had this side-by-side with a 2018 Spingbank 21, and the spinkbank in comparison, was like cream in the mouth on arrival. So the port has now taken more of a back seat, and we have more smoke, spice, and woody flavours, but not many other flavours that you can pick out. I think this is where it could have gone from being a good whisky to an excellent one. It's pleasant, just not as complex as the nose.
      The finish was relatively short, spicy, with hints of port and eventually allowing the smoke to take centre stage. It was not drying, and perfectly pleasant, but as per the mouth, there was nothing unusual or exciting.

5. Lakerfield scored this whisky 79 points Expert Senior

Port and peat go really well together and I'm curious how this one would be with a proper age. It was a bit of a hot, winey mess and rough on the palate when I first opened it. Oxidization really benefitted this one.
      Winey and in-your-face sweet combined with a soft breeze of sea air and mild peat. The port is very dominant and I would not say this is a Talisker if I hadn't known beforehand. Port, cereal, vanilla, nutmeg, salt, sea air, distant campfire, smoke, almond, dark chocolate, molasses, caramel, chocolate chip cookie, raisin, citrus, apple, sweet BBQ sauce, bacon, pepper steak and a subdued, earthy peat. Really powerful on the port like I said, the spirit has taken a serious beating by those casks! It's a lovely nose nevertheless.
    • Taste
      There we have it, we get more of the original spirit and it's less sweet. Velvety in mouthfeel, with just a slight burn. Turns a little dry and tannic, perhaps even grainy, after the arrival. Salt, pepper, ginger, vanilla, chocolate, dates, orange peel, strawberry jam, smoke, glazed ham and a sharp but not too dominant peat note. Everything is where it is and it stays that way, no real depth unfortunately.
      Just like other peated whiskies, this one delivers on the finish too. Medium to long, with salted caramel and dark chocolate accompanied by a whiff of smoke.