Glen Spey 12-year-old

Strength
L6230DQ000
24 Mar 2018 4:24 pm by karlsson60

Whisky Reviews for Glen Spey 12-year-old

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 74.25 points

1. peatbogger scored this whisky 87 points Specialist

This was my first Glen Spey, a sample from karloff.
    Never seen it. Would not have been disappointed if I had picked it up at around the £50 shop link mark.
      That's a truly great nose!
      Complex mix of green and yellow fruits. Grassy.
      Nice ballance between sweetness and citric notes.
      Resinous soft wood and pencil shavings with the carbon.
    • Taste
      Arrives with an oily texture.
      Immediate spice that keeps building. A bit too much to my liking.
      Far from the complexity of the nose, although some fruit carry over. I find some kind of metallic dryness to it.
      Medium+ lenght with spice and lightly bitter dry nuts.

2. karloff scored this whisky 90 points Specialist

I have enjoyed making my way down this bottle and It reminds me of Inchgower but I prefer this. It is an underrated malt for sure. I know there are IB bottlings but you don't see them very often. I will have to keep my eyes peeled.
      Green apples, kiwi fruit, deep forest pine, freshly cut grass, liquorice root sticks, brown paper parcel wrapping and conference pear. It says on the bottle wood smoke. I can't find that at all but I can find the wood and it is a freshly shaved bit of timber.
    • Taste
      A lovely creamy texture and just enough spice makes this an easy and pleasurable sipper. Not just spice either but herbs like sage and dried oregano. Those green fruits on the nose transfer well onto the taste. This is not an overly complex whisky and it doesn't have to be to be great.
      Again on the bottle it says a dry finish. I don't find this at all. It has a lovely medium finish where those green fruity flavours just fade nicely. There is a tiny bit of bitterness but it suits the profile. There is more of those liquorice root sticks on the death.