Mackinlay's Shackleton

700 ml 750 ml 1000 ml
5013967012035
04 May 2017 9:10 am by John Barleycorn

Whisky Reviews for Mackinlay's Shackleton

11 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 77.52 points

1. lincolnimp scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

I had this before and scored it at 80 points but it was much more spirity than this latest batch.

This bottle is very smooth, no burn, really mellow and very easy drinking and I love it, almost like 30-35% but that is not a criticism in any way.

Sure its a little manufactured, some caramel in there certainly but its put together well.

Almost too simple to be honest but I paid only £25 for this blended malt sipper, excellent value, I will be buying more.

Simple pleasures indeed :)

2. peatbogger scored this whisky 78 points Specialist

Thanks to karloff for the sample.
    I considered "this" recreation in it's original limited edition when I found it at duty-free. Can't seem to find that bottle here on WB though. It came in a wooden box filled with shavings and included a booklet about the expedition and the research on recreation. And the price was almost 10x this one. As I understand this is a more general edition made in batches. So far I have passed it whenever I've seen it, and I think I will continue doing so.
      It is listed as a blended malt, yet I'm getting a quite obvious grain blend nose from this one.
      Banana. Card board. Caramel.
      Light floral notes.
      Gentle, but very generic.
      Some time in the glass and it gets sweeter and more fruity.
    • Taste
      The texture is a little thin, but the taste took me by surprice.
      More malt than I expected.
      And a strange mix of sweet floral and herbal that I can't say I've encountered before.
      Not really sure what to think of this, it's not unpleasant but I find it weird.
      To add to the confusion it evolved closer to my expectation of a blended whisky going down the glass... but then it was empty.
      Rather short, a little bitterness, some perfumey notes seem to linger.
      Sweet floral grainy notes from the empty glass.

3. woodstock scored this whisky 80 points Member Junior

It is a blended malt, without the addition of grain whiskey, which is very positive in terms of the selling price. A very round whiskey, balanced between sherry notes and peat smoke. It is not bubbly alcoholic, which then indicates a certain age
      Mainly smoke superimposes earthy-nutty tones in the nose. With a lot of effort, some dried fruits, overall very pleasant. The smoke is clear, but leaves room for further impressions.
    • Taste
      You could almost give a higher rating here. The whiskey looks grown up. I am positively surprised by the maturity, that is clearly more than three years! The notes from the sherry barrel come through. The peat smoke is clearly next to it. But the mix is balanced.
      For this price range, it is almost oily. The smoke lingers for a medium length of time, but the dried fruit notes manage to remain (a little) present.

4. karloff scored this whisky 84 points Specialist

I agree with everyone that for what you pay and I payed £20 this is a great sipper. If I was in the middle of the Antarctic in a tent freezing my nuts off like the great man himself, this would be a great comfort.
      Smells like a lovely Sunday roast gravy. You can smell the grain but it is subtle. A mix of herbs and spices. Now it has gone from the gravy to the stock, like an oxo cube. For a blend the nose is actually ok, it dips in and out, now and again you get dry roasted peanuts.
    • Taste
      Now the taste takes it up another level, dangerously easy on the pallet.
      The grain is even more subtle and just the right amount of herbs and spices like in a great soup.
      Swill it around your mouth and it holds up well.
      A short to medium finish and there is some sort of vegetable infusion going on that is a little different but good.

5. Dre73 scored this whisky 82 points Connoisseur

Just a nice easy whisky to start your evening with. Not very overwhelming but not flat or thin either.
      Fruity and sweet, citrus, orange, then pretty much peach and honey. A little alcohol. Later on more fruitiness, kiwi, banana.
    • Taste
      Only a very little pepper, sweet, honey, caramel, some peach. Soft and smooth. Not so much depth, but not watery or thin either.
      Sweet, only a very little pepper left, smooth, honey, wood notes. Not very long.

6. lincolnimp scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

This is a good value whisky but there is some batch variation, tried from different bottles but even the lowest scoring one was decent.

7. ajdedwards scored this whisky 78 points Expert Senior

If I didn't know otherwise I would say this was a blend with quite a significant grain element.  That's not to say it's unpleasant.  It's a very nice easy drinker and at £18 for a bottle there are no complaints here.

8. holborndrinker scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

Often on special offer, I enjoy the aesthetics of the bottle and the contents are pleasant - a decent drop at a reasonable price.  Why pay stupid prices for something you'll never drink when you could actually afford to rink a case of this for the same money?

9. lachaineduwhisky did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Pretty insignificant. Enthusiasm 2/5 Whiskey n ° 1632
      Well malted for a blend (when I copy my notes, I would add "normal, it's a blended malt!") It is quite flat and monotonous.
    • Taste
      Malt, spices, coconut. He faded with the opening.
      Rather neutral.