- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Whiskykanzler (Wk)
- Stated Age
- 13 years old
- Rum Barrel
- Number of bottles
- 57.1 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 25 Jun 2013 6:43 pm
9 × in wishlist
55 × member ratings
45 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Springbank 1999 Wk
10 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.72 points
- Imho the weakest of the 13 yo bunch (rum, port, sherry). Compared to the others the rum does not come through too prominently just as it does (not) at the 15 yo original bottling from 2020. Not a bad whisky by any means, no off notes, but I've had far better 12 yo OBs.
- Good fruity taste from the sweet rum cask with some hints of the spirit with a trace of peat. But it's still bold and beautiful at it's young age at high strength.
Pineapple, mango, peat, apple and macadamia.
Peat, pineapple, mango and orange.
Pineapple, apple, peat, mango and mocha.
- The mix of rum and jumper is successful, but I'm not a friend of Scotch and rum barrels together, that can eigtl the Irish much better.
First you have beautiful light honey, then this hint of heathland with oak briquettes and then the mango, dried papaya, melon slices with parma ham, vanilla and nuts
Everything here from the nose, plus some salt, toast, salt crackers, mango and papaya, a little hazelnut, chilli, white pepper, ham and honey
Dried-sweet, oak, malt, mango, salt, grapefruit peel
- Tasting Notes:
- Blindtasting. A very nice malt. Springbank and Rum Cask fit together
light smoke, somehow slightly musty, sour apples, after a while this musty character passes and straw and hay come; an enormous sweetness is also present. It reminds me of avocado.
again light smoke, a nice oiliness and very sweet. But also spices, especially pepper.
medium to long. There is a great, sweet touch in the throat back. At the very end, when you think the sip is gone, the oak is suddenly there.
- Nose: Starts off a bit alcoholic, after a few minutes the rum spices dominate the alcohol and the nose reminds of Jamaica Rum, the barrel took its job very serious here. Very fresh.
Palate: Also starts off a with "mucho" alcohol, after a few seconds - as it was with the nose - the whisky dominates the alcohol, the rum shines pretty much through ==> You have to like rum to like this stuff I guess ;). Medium oily, getting little bitter later. Chocolate, cane sugar, spices.
Finish: Long, intense, on rum and chocolate. Anybody knows "Ritter Sport Rum-Trauben-Nuss" with real Jamaica Rum? That`s it in a bottle.
Adding a little bit water makes it more oily, the alcohol is not that notable anymore, swims very well.
Price (approx. 60 EUR at Whiskykanzler) is good, the dram is well worth the money. The comic labels, created by the German voice of Fox Mulder (X-Files) make the bottles different and look funny but good. If you place all the bottles of this series one to another you get the "big pucture" of all the comic labels, you even can switch bottles and still have pretty funny looks as the landscape changes.