Yoichi 15-year-old

Market
United States United States
29 nov 2012 3:44 am

Whisky reviews for Yoichi 15-year-old

5 users have left 5 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 88.71 points.

1. Lu Cifer scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

• Taste

[August, 2020] Another randomly pick out of my sample library and what a surprise: A Japanese single malt all of which are completely overpriced these days...

...and this sample confirms my preoccupation. As a drinker I would not spend more than 50 Euro on a bottle of such drinking quality, not joking. Why should I buy overhyped Japanese whisky if there are myriads of affordable Scotch drams of comparable and often even better (drinking) quality out there? This makes no sense, ergo it is nonsense (to me, only).
      The colour is deep copper and the nose offers a classic mainstream modern whisky profile without neither flaws nor highlights. I guess more than half of all Scotch releases own a nose that is at least of equal quality or better than this one. Do not get me wrong, this nose is absolutely okay - it is just so ... average. By the way, it reminds me a lot of the profile of the Glenrothes distillery. The woods are quite strong and drive this nose somewhat out of balance, but wood-heads will love it (most probably).
    • Taste
      The taste is about the same with barley sugars, some sherry impressions and firm woods in an easy but unimpressive setting. This is very drinkable but if you ask me tomorrow about this dram I will just shrug my shoulders. There is nothing to remember, so why should I pay hundreds of bucks for such a drink? Nonsense!
      The initial mouthfeel is ... just so average: warming, very little coating with some minor drying moments from the wood. The finish is of medium length and adds no new impressions except an increasingly drying end (tannins at work). Water releases more sour aromas in the nose and turns the taste quite flat, I prefer this dram neat.

3. Jackson05 scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

I bought this bottle for about $150 cdn in 2014/15. I should have cleared the shelf, because it never came back. When it did it was over 5x the price.

The Japanese are the kings of marketing as far as I’m concerned and that’s a big reason for current prices. One thing I absolutely love is the screw cap. It’s quality, practical and aesthetically pleasing. I’d like to see more bottlers do that (the quality screw cap, not the cheap metal one).

A very well put together malt that was well worth what I paid originally, but not much more as a drinker.
      Soft. Highland park style of peat. Creosote and gravel. A soft waxiness. Loads of orange, which reminds me a bit of Talisker. The style to me is closest to one of those distilleries. Nothing wrong with that! It’s very rounded with no flaws or spikes whatsoever. A little varnish and earthy touches.
    • Taste
      Medium mouthfeel, a little of the weaker side. Spice really picks up with some salty touches. Heavy orange notes, apricot, peach and some milk chocolate.
      Dry soft smoke. Oranges of all kinds, smoked peaches. Fairly long with nice pepper and smoke on retronasal. Perhaps a rose pedal or two.

4. niels0808 did not rate this whisky Newbie