- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Kentucky Straight Corn Whiskey
- Stated Age
- 04 years old
- 50.0 % Vol.
- 750 ml
- 100 Proof
- Added on
- 26 Aug 2011 8:06 pm
4 × in wishlist
68 × member ratings
158 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Mellow Corn 04-year-old
9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 72.70 points
- For the price a good introduction to corn whiskey
Cereals, honey nougat and of course alcohol
Cereals and honey.An easy whiskey
Not very long but not too short. Always on corn and honey, not unpleasant for corn whiskey at 50% / vol
- Mellow corn is unusual in the fact that it's 100% corn distillate, well nearly - its actually made from 90% corn. Examples of other corn whiskeys are Balcones True Blue, Georgia Moon and Hudson baby Bourbon which is 100% corn whiskey made in New York - the first legally aged grain spirit to be produced in NY since the end of prohibition.
From punchdrunk: ‘Born in 1945, Mellow Corn remains a relatively obscure Kentucky whiskey. It is not a bourbon. It is not a rye. It’s a corn whiskey, but not a whole lot like the other corn whiskeys that have flooded the market in recent years. Those spirits are by and large moonshine—or unaged raw spirit. By contrast, Mellow Corn is aged four years. It’s also bottled in bond, clocking in at 100-proof—something few whiskeys can boast these days.’
C: I had a less-than-favourable time with during a fine experience in Wright’s [Skipton] one quiet and surreal afternoon. Today i find this to be far mellower distillate experience and far more favourable once fully oxidised.Scores a D[+]
- This isn`t by any stretch of the imagination a great whiskey, but it is by no means a bad one either. This was highly recommended and I am on a whiskey journey and I want to try different types of whiskey so I am glad I bought it and tried it. This is not for the connoisseur but if you want to try something different give it a go. Another one off the list.
- I treated myself to this because it was cheap and in the 1001 and the 101 whiskies you should try before you die.
You can smell the corn strongly in this one, just like walking into a barn full of straw. Also there is white chocolate, Rhubarb and custard as well
A cereal taste that is very sweet and oily.
A very medium and dry finish.
- I like this one. It`s not sophisticated. In fact, the alcohol bites you in both the nose and the mouth. There`s hardly any finish, but hey, it`s perfect for watching old episodes of the Dukes of Hazzard. American muscle cars, Daisy Duke and corn whiskey sort of belong together, and that`s what makes this one special for me.
- God awful. Just God awful. It`s like a softer new make corn spirit. Sweet, and a bit like kerosene. Ouch.