Bulleit 95 Rye

082000752967
24 May 2011 8:01 am
Uncolored

Whisky Reviews for Bulleit 95 Rye

30 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 80.68 points

1. pahayah scored this whisky 81 points Member Senior

I don't have that much experience with Rye whisky, but this one is actually very pleasant and enjoyable.

2. Larenard scored this whisky 79 points Member Senior

a rye whiskey with 95% rye that allows a good discovery of this style
      Vanilla, caramel
    • Taste
      Vanilla, caramelized and very sweet fruity and the typical cereal taste of rye
      Quite short and medicinal

3. fileosoph scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

4. StyrianSpirit scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

The Bulleit Rye is very interesting, good to drink and it has a sweet exotic taste for my taste buds. The price-performance ratio is also right.
      First of all, that was my first rye whiskey that I tested. The first nose is reminiscent of the Jameson Black Barrel. In any case, very caramel-like and powerful. Interesting; I could not yet assign many flavors.
    • Taste
      Comes very sweet, very malty ("roggig") on the tongue. A kind of artificial sweetie. And vanilla, of course. The alcohol is already slightly rebellious at first, but soon gives way to a pleasant-soft mouthfeel.
      Short to medium. The "rogue" stays longer in the mouth and memory; that's probably because that was my rye premiere.

5. spigray scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

6. spigray scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

not bad, the only rye that I have tasted so far. good experience although not really my cup of tea.
    83/100
      herbs, pickled cucumber, dill, acetone, that herb lemonade they make in austria called "almdudler"
    • Taste
      more or less same as on the nose, quite refreshing and somehow
      summery. tinned tutti frutti.
      medium, herbal

7. vojt466 scored this whisky 82 points Expert Senior

For me, the first poisonous America after the previous "meeting" with bourbon
      distinctive citrus scent and other tropical fruits. Also, slightly vanilla, corn and spice
    • Taste
      Citrus, pineapple, vanilla and fruit compote. Finally there is spiciness and light scent.
      Dozvuk is medium to long and predominantly sweet, again vanilla and a little mint. Again, typical rye spiciness.

8. Toffie76 scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

I had planned to use it in cocktails, but I admit to have a soft spot for this kind of whiskey. It is on level complexity, there is not much to say, but what a pleasure to drink on the terrace without taking the head. Maybe I should be wary of rye whiskeys, it tends to slide a little too easily in my throat!

9. markjedi1 scored this whisky 79 points Connoisseur

Shoe polish

About two years ago I first encountered the very quaffable and dirt cheap Bulleit Bourbon. They also have a rye vesion. It is currently owned by Diageo, but is secretly (well, not really) distilled at the Four Roses distillery in Lawrenceburg. Let us give that Bulleit 95 Rye a go.

Cherries! That’s the first impression I get on the nose. Upholstered with leather, tobacco and a truckload of vanilla. I would have expected more spices, as rye is the main ingredient. I also get some nail polish remover, which does not really sit well with me. Something green as well. Parsley? Hay? Hmmpf. After a few moments this evolves toward coconut milk and shoe polish. Excuse me? Yup.

It is sweet and sou rand spicy on the palate. I cannot quite pinpoint it, but I am reminded of the Far East. Sorry, I cannot help it. Some incense and Chinese tea. Albeit with a lot of fruit in it. Cherries, coconut, oranges. And some sweet butter. Quite creamy.

Long, spicy finish in which the rye finally manifests itself.

Obviously this is bang for your buck, because of the low price, but I would not order a second shot immediately. Left me a bit unmoved.

10. ApricotOne scored this whisky 80 points Expert Senior