Three Ships 12-year-old

Strength
6001108101914
04 Nov 2020 8:57 pm by Coldorak

Whisky Reviews for Three Ships 12-year-old

20 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.10 points

1. MaltMusings scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

This is the first release in the Master Distiller's Private Collection - the first official release exported from South Africa to Europe.

Distilled from 30ppm barley (Scottish sourced peated barley) in 2007, coming off the stills at around 68% ABV. Andy selected a combination of older and younger small American oak casks to mature the whisky in, 90% refill and 10% first fill. South Africa's climate ensured that the whisky was still around 65% after 12 years. It was then bottled as a 12yo at Distell's 'standard ABV' of 46.3% unchillfiltered at natural colour.
      Peat smoke dominates the nose, as soon as you pour the dram into the glass you can smell it. There's some cereal and nut notes (flapjack?) along with a slight salinity - again a hint ad Islay. A little time in the glass and some air reveals orchard fruit and berry notes.
    • Taste
      Smooth sweet arrival, honey or maple syrup which is immediately overtaken by the peat smoke, this time heathery - maybe similar to an Ardmore? Orchard fruit again comes to the fore, there's some herbal notes and a little dried fruit. Holding the liquid on the tongue gives some citrus zing then as the liquid disappears the smoke comes back, very drying - yummy!
      Long lingering smoke, a little orchard fruit and honey.

2. peatbogger scored this whisky 85 points Specialist

12YO, and they even have a 15YO out, which means this distillery must have had a decision maker with a pretty good foresight. The result is also pretty good.
      I would not call this typically peated. If there is any, I'm not able to define the type. It also have a quite oily note, and maybe this combined with the peat is what remind me of cod liver oil. Despite it's health benefits I'm not a huge fan of that, but fortunately there's quite a lot more going on in the glass.
      Good wood, nuts, some sour fruit.
      Also what I would call a "Springbanky" farm note.
    • Taste
      Arrives with a sweet spice mix, very tasty.
      Evolves nicely into fruit and wood flavours.
      Quite complex, unusual but very good.
      The finish is about medium long, starts off with a little herbal bitterness but ends on a sweet confectionery marsipan with dark chocolate cover.

3. Slàinte Mhath scored this whisky 86 points Super Administrator

Africa's only commercial whisky distillery has an interesting history, reaching back to James Sedgwick who started his business in 1850. Matured in American oak, the nose of Three Ships 12 is both expressive and complex. Yellow fruits, mixed spices and barley sugar are complemented by sour berries, heather and subtle peatiness. The sweet arrival is swiftly overtaken by aromatic flavors, unripe peach and quality oak, balanced by waves of peat smoke. Pepper, nutmeg and vanilla mark the dry and herbal finish. I am really impressed with this malt!

RATING: 3.9/5.0 stars ≙ 86 pts → FIRST-CLASS [-]

4. redlightsflash89 scored this whisky 87 points Expert Junior

My first South African whisky. I love the country and I have great friends there, sent them a picture and the feedback was, you got a good one here. The bottle was sub 50€ so let’s see if this can excite me. I wish this was in cask strength but the price to performance ratio is absolutely amazing. I’d buy another bottle if I’d ever buy 2 bottles from the same bottling (I don’t)
      starts with a lot of oak and spices (Oregano?) but also pepper and salt. Basically crisps, to be honest, followed by vanilla, honey and a lovely integrated smoke that is far in the background. I also get a weird perphume note in the further background but not disturbingly. The nose is very fun and super unusual because I never had such a spiced up nose before. Smells like I’m standing in the middle of a kitchen :D :D :D
    • Taste
      Starts out very sweet again with vanilla and honey and sugar cubes this is then followed again by this weird spice combination, salt, pepper, potatoes first cooked, then raw, and a lovely oak sweetness and spicyness with a subtle but completely unusual peat note in the back. I also get burnt toast with peanut butter. But the sweet note won’t go away and it fits this perfectly. This is very good and interesting and like nothing I ever tasted before.
      It confirms what the nose and taste give away, quite sweet and a lot of different spices, I get a very strong pear sweetness actually but it is always followed by salt pepper and Italian spices. I can’t wrap my head around this again with this fun sweet peat note and then it goes back again to these spices. I’m thinking of Italian and French seasoning, this is sooo cool I really like it.

5. Tom na Gruagaich scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

First impression: tasty, but also a little demanding, the herbaceous note and also the spicy bitterness make the malt difficult to access, so I'm looking forward to further discoveries. But you can also say that this is definitely not exotic when it comes to the flavors. A lovely smoker who is unmistakably a single malt.
      Present, but quite gentle peat smoke, a bit musty, the wood is a bit dusty, the peat brings a certain flavor, something herbaceous, slightly thyme, becomes a little clearer, less dusty, sweetish, subtly fruity, but more over time on peat and fresh wood.
    • Taste
      tart start, but very gentle, the herbal notes dominate here with a more powerful tart note, the peat smoke is then immediately there and quite present.
      bitter, herbal influences, peat smoke, a bit musty bitterness, little fruit, but then towards the end a little vanilla and slightly sooty smoke.

6. Totoro scored this whisky 79 points Connoisseur

The American-oak casks may have been well-selected, but I'm not sure I like the spirit itself all that much.
      Green grape, honey, and a dry / herbal smokiness that reminds me of camphor and eucalyptus. A bit wacky, though I can't quite put my finger on why that is. Pretty sure I wouldn't mistake it for a Scotch in a blind lineup, though.
    • Taste
      Good body. Fairly oily, with a herbal-honey theme. The peatiness seems more harmonious here than on the nose. Reserved fruitiness (apricot?).
      Turns bitter swiftly, with some barley sweetness as a counterpoint. The wackiness from the nose returns in the aftertaste, which is really not my cup of tea.

7. neus007 scored this whisky 84 points Expert Junior

8. neus007 scored this whisky 84 points Expert Junior

9. Don Cassi scored this whisky 70 points Expert Junior

The nose starts off medium-smoky (a bit smelly) with a chemical note that reminds me of laundry. Behind it a little overripe mirabelle plum and cereal notes.

At first very soft and oily in the mouth, then becoming more and more peppery.

In the finish a melange of light smoke, wholegrain and oak notes.
    Length: 4/10

Very tangy, tangy malt from the black continent. Due to the lack of fruit notes, it doesn't quite fit into my prey scheme, but overall it is well made.

Grade: 2-