Whiskybase

Glenfiddich

Meaning of the name: Valley of the Deer
Pronunciation: glen-FID-ik
After Mortlach, Glenfiddich was the only second distillery to be built in Dufftown, with construction commencing in 1886, the first spirit flowing on Christmas day 1887. Glenfiddich operates more stills than  any other distillery in Scotland and is the worlds best selling single malt whisky with annual sales of around 10 million bottles.
Silent 1917-1919. Floor-malting ends 1958. Own cooperage since 1959. Expands from two to four pot stills 1960. 16 new pot stills installed 1974. The first still house contains five wash and eight spirit pot stills. The second five wash and ten spirit pot stills. The pot stills gets direct gas fired 1998. Own bottling line. Uses two 11,2 (?) tonnes stainless steel full-lauter mash tuns. 24 douglas fir washbacks and eight stainless steel washbacks wich were installed late 2012.
Labels:
Glenfiddich (SMWS 15). When sold for blending they add 1% Balvenie and call it 'Wardhead'.
"Owners":
William Grant 1887-96, Glenfiddich Distillery Co. 1896-1903 and William Grant & Sons Ltd. from 1903.

Timeline

Glenfiddich opened its doors on Saturday 01st January 1887

Opened  •  01.01.1887

Distillery details

  • Country
    Scotland
  • Status
    Active
  • Founded
    01.01.1887
  • Owner
    William Grant & Sons Ltd.
  • Spirit stills
    18
  • Wash stills
    10
  • Capacity per year
    14000000 Liters
  • Website

Whisky Details

Distillery location

40 Church St
AB55 4DH Dufftown
Scotland Speyside

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  




Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2021


Forgot your password?

Login