Pronounced KLINE-leesh Meaning slopped garden.
Clynelish was established in 1819 by the Marquis of Stafford, later the Duke of Sutherland to provide an outlet for the barley grown by the tenants. Fuel was provided by the local Brora coal mine, which had been in use since the 16th century. The distillery came into the hands of the Distillers Company Ltd in1925 and finally closed for good in 1983.
The distillery which bears the name Clynelish today dates back to 1967/68, and was built along side the old plant, which was subsequently renamed Brora and distilled whisky using heavily peated malt for a time.
The new Clynelish distillery was constructed in characteristically bold 1960's DCL style, with a glass fronted still house.
The installation of a new pair of stainless steel washback's during 2008 increased potential annual output at the distillery by some 25%.
One of the few distilleries to be equipped with spirit stills which are larger than the wash stills.
KW9 6LR Brora, Sutherland