Pronounced glen-MOR-angie Meaning Glen of tranquillity or glen of the large meadows.
Glenmorangie was established in 1843 by William Matherson using the remnants of McKenzie & Gallie's Morangie Brewery, which had existed since 1738. However production did not begin until November 1849. The Glenmorangie distillery company Ltd was formed in 1887 when the plant was entirely rebuilt and at the time Glenmorangie became the first distillery in Scotland to use stem to heat it's stills.
Glenmorangie was silent between 1931 to 1936 due to world recession and US Prohibition. The distillery was internally reconstructed in1979 when the number of stills was increased from two to four and a decade later from four to eight.
Glenmorangie is Scotland's best selling single malt and the UK number two after Glenfiddich.
During 2008/09 a major £4.5 million expansion programme took place, involving the installation of a supplementary mash tun, four washbacks and six pairs of stills.
Standing nearly 17 feet tall Glenmorangies stills are the tallest in Scotland.
Glenmorangie pioneered the use of 'finishing' whiskies in a wide range of casks that have previously held the likes of Burgundy, Medeira, Port and Sherry.
IV19 1PZ Tain, Ross-shire