Rebuilt 1884-87. In 1885 it had eight washbacks, 5,000 gallons each. Three old pot stills. The Wash Still 1,500 gallons, and the two Spirit Stills, each 700 gallons. Also had a cooperage. In 1889 the first pagoda roof were built. On fire 1917. Opens again 1920. Major renovations 1959-60 and expands from four to six pot stills. The floor-malting gets replaced with a Saladin-box. The pot stills gets steam-heated 1964. The Saladin-box closes 1982 or 1983. A full-lauter mash tun was installed 1993. Some of the condensers used to be made of stainless steel (for a sulphury style) but since a few years all are made of cooper.
William Mackenzie 1852-65, Jane Mackenzie 1865-79, Mackenzie & Co. 1879-90, Dailuaine-Glenlivet Distillery Ltd. 1890-98, Dailuaine-Talisker Distilleries Co. Ltd. 1898-1916, Dewar’s, DCL, W.P. Lowrie, and John Walker & Son 1917-25, DCL 1925, today Diageo plc.
Two additional stills are installed.
Carron, Aberlour, Banffshire, AB38 7RE