Pronounced glen-DRON-ach Meaning Valley of the brambles.
One of the many distilleries to date from the years immediately after the passing of the 1823 Excise Act, Glendronach was built in 1826 by a consortium of local farmers and businessmen headed by James Allardice. Until 2005 Glendronach remained the last distillery in Scotland to heat it's stills with coal. In that year the stills were converted to steam heating.
Has been called Glenronach and Glendronach-Glenlivet, but not after 1967.
Almost destroyed by fire 1837. In 1886 it had four washbacks, 4,500 gallons each. Two old pot stills, 1,500 and 1,200 gallons. Expands from two to four pot stills 1966-67. Mothballed 1996 to 2002-05-14. No floor-malting since 1996. Last distillery in Scotland with coal fired pot stills. That ends in 2005 when steam-heating are installed. Uses a 3,7 tonnes cast iron, rake and plough mash tun. Also nine wooden washbacks and two pair of pot stills.
Glendronach (SMWS 96). Has lately been making small amount of peated spirit.
Glendronach Distillery Co. 1827-42, Walter Scott 1852-80, Leith partnership 1887-1916, acquired by the Crown 1816, Charles Grant 1920-27, Glendronach Distillery Co. Ltd. (Grant family) 1927-60, William Teacher & Sons Ltd. 1960-76, Allied Breweries 1976-1999, Allied Distillers Ltd. 1999-2005, Pernod Ricard 2005-08 and Benriach Distillery Co. Ltd. from 2008.
AB5 6DB Aberdeenshire