Founded by Andrew Dewar and William Rattray in 1868, A Dewar Rattray began trading as an importer of French wines, Italian spirits and olive oil. More importantly, however, the company also established itself as a specialist in the field of blending and storage of malt and grain whiskies. In the latter part of the 1800s A Dewar Rattray Ltd came to represent a number of well-known Highland Malt distilleries - most notably Stronachie* - selling bulk whisky to West of Scotland wine and spirit merchants, publicans and the main Scotch whisky blending houses in and around Glasgow. Like many other merchants, A Dewar Rattray Ltd suffered during the crisis of the early 1900s and in the late 1920s the partners sold the business to William Walker. Well-established as a whisky broker, Walker set about expanding the business with the acquisition of a number of smaller merchants. Despite rationing during the 2nd World War, the company continued to supply the West of Scotland licensed trade until Walker's death.

Timeline

Bottler details

  • Country
    Scotland
  • Abbreviation
    DR
  • Status
    Active
  • Website

Whisky Details

  • Whiskies
    975
  • WB Ranking
    C
  • Rating
    85.62
  • Collection
    15280
  • Views
    55574
  • Votes
    833
  • Specialists

Bottler location

32 Main Road
KA19 8HY Kirkoswald, Ayrshire
Scotland Lowlands

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  




Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 60207205
VAT: NL853809112B01

Copyright © 2022


Forgot your password?

Login