18 × in wishlist
52 × member ratings
72 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Ben Nevis 1996 MBa
14 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.67 points
- A Ben Nevis very complex (too?) That did not totally convinced me .... I remain on my hunger. It's still a good whisky all the same.
Powerful, or mix flowers and fruits (Citrus, banana with a hint of mint ...) The 2nd nose adds coconut and vanilla.
Explosion in the mouth, we feel the strong presence of alcohol (edit: even if well integrated). Very complex one can feel oak wood and mint mix in a fat and oily dance.
Dried fruits, vanilla then comes the fresh grass and the wood ....
- Nose 22, taste 23, finish 23, balance 23
- Fresh nose mixing pastry and floral, cherry plum, a hint of white glue, straw, honey, candle. We find the straw in the mouth, with a veil of smoke that did not appear on the nose. Alcohol is well integrated and feels nice, covering. Long finish on honey and yellow fruits (peach). A very nice dram, which has things to say, fresh and complex.
- When tasting blind, you wouldn't tell that this is actually Ben Nevis. I know that the distillery sometimes has longer periods of yeasting (in the weekends). I am interested to know if this could be the result of that. Anynow, a juicy and exciting whisky.
Ah, a fruity Ben Nevis, quelle surprise! It's remarkably fresh and grassy. Yellow fruit dominates: lemon, apple, pear and pineapple. Then, freshly cut, wet grass. The wood influence is not big, as to be expected from the colour. It delivers coconut shavings, maybe a tiny bit of vanilla, and some pencil shavings too. Behind this all, there is some decent base of malt.
Very lemon-y, like eating lemon meringue, next to lemon cheese cake. Next to that, apple, grass, mint, and pepper.
It remains fresh until the end. Lemon still dominates, this time also with some lemon grass. Then, pepper, ginger, some wood smoke and again some dough-like malt.
- A little shy at first, but it grows liberally on malt. Some notes of fruits and almonds. In the mouth, very very round, very well done!
- straw color, quite fruity nose, lemon, citrus, mirabelle, with malt, vegetal notes, cut grass. Fruity on the attack, fresh, always citrus, a little yellow fruit, honey, wax, slightly sweet and tart, nice texture a little thick, even more fruity with water, well integrated alcohol. End of mouth a little more on the cereal and grass cut. Average length, herbaceous finish. Very nice. Nice selection.
- On the nose, orange, candied lemon, high in sugar, with a return of rum, then a feeling of grassy freshness!
a bouquet filled with fruit, melon with pineapple, a little glue, it is very fresh, very fragrant, back a little grassy, floral, but the fruits come back and cling.
- As a general rule, I am not a special customer of Ben Nevis, which I find very unequal. But this one is well done, consistent, and tasty. A good whisky from start to finish.
A beautiful nose, well chiseled and fruity. Apple and white grapes in mind. In the background, candied lemon zest. A slight fruity smoke. This nose is very present on time.
As on the nose, the whole is very present and powerful on the flavors; on white and yellow fruit. Apple, grapes, and a light lemon.
A slight fruity dryness settles in the mouth, while the zest of lemon titillates the palate.