Bowmore 1968 MM

Strength
06 may 2009 10:33 pm
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky reviews for Bowmore 1968 MM

5 users have left 6 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 93.43 points.

1. sagara-kun scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

An impressive presence, especially at this alcohol level. How can you feel that at 40.6%? To ask if it is not an error.

Magnificent whisky, which cannot leave indifferent.
    One of the best old Bowmores I've tasted.

94.5
      What a nose! A slap.
      I think that with a degree of 40.6%, we are on a natural reduction, and tasting this 68 after the It 65, the sensation is really different.

It's much creamier here, with juicy orange, mango, ugli grapefruit, passion fruit, papaya.
      All these fruits are integrated, mixed, and form a beautiful multivitamin juice.

There is sea spray and a slight mineral austerity.
      Wood, light clove.

After the fruit, the zest, which adds a nice presence and complexity.
    • Taste
      On the palate, we start with a nice dose of sweetness and honey.
      The fruit is rolled up in sugar, with mango, passion fruit, orange, grapefruit.
      It's round, creamy, generous.
      We also have guava, pineapple, starfruit, granny apple... I can't name them all.

Light wood, cinnamon, toffee, pepper. Slight Barba Papa.
      It's all velvet.
      The finish is long, with a chiseled and precise exoticism.
      Passion fruit, mango, pineapple, grapefruit. Superb.

Pepper, wood, clove, light toffee.
      Rather saline, with a nice spray.
      Light smoke.

2. MJ84 scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

Again a wonderful oldschool Bowmore, concentrated peach iced tea, just great! Blindly bet on 46%, even more power than expected.
    • Taste

3. Blake or Mortimer? scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

Incredible.
    Old school, iced tea (but homemade, good fruity stuff). Only very, very faintly coastal notes. Long, zesty and only good notes. You don't feel that it's below 45%.

[May, 2005]  Together with friends I emptied decanter no. 660 that I bought for 266 Euro in April, 2005.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 95.  My notes state a nice exotic fruity profile with almost no peaty flavours at all.

[February, 2005]  I had this dram during an Jim McEwan tasting at Rolandsbogen.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 95.  I took no further notes.

6. Mr.Sandwich did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Tasting Notes By Jim McEwan

Colour:  Striking golden yellow Body - to die for !  The opulence of the texture is beyond belief, almost liqueur like. Delicate and elegant with the open window of its 35 years.
    Nose:  Opens with a wave of peach and apricot.
    A burst of star fruit follows, then a delightful ocean breeze gently lifts the senses, followed by dark, rich toffee that´s been allowed to cool on cask lids. The peat smoke has all but gone, lingering round the edges, recalling memories of when they were the singers in the choir. I love the sweet fruits and zesty character of this great spirit. Very much a reflection of the men who made it and with whom I had the great honour of working.
    Palate: The American oak casks were most likely built by myself and my sadly departed mentor, Davy Bell. Little did I ever think that our paths would cross again. Lots of good feelings and an air of serenity in the spirit. No man could ask for more.
    Finish: Thanks for the memories.

KVK: 60207205