- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- The Distillers Edition
- Double matured in Muscat Wine Wood
- 40.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml 1000 ml
- Bottle code
- Added on
- 29 Mar 2009 11:52 am
2 × in wishlist
59 × member ratings
98 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Royal Lochnagar 1996
9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 80.44 points
- Aroma: Soapy start, orange peel, strawberries, green apple, young bananas, vanilla, light, fresh wood aromas, mint freshness, sandalwood.
Taste: slightly watery on the tongue, but with a soft mouthfeel, honey, malt, mint.
Finish: medium-long, sweet, slightly spicy.
Conclusion: light and fresh. Unfortunately not as strong in taste as in the nose.
- [August, 2016] Together with friends I emptied a bottle that I bought for 35 Euro in July, 2011.
In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored this 82,5. My notes state an unbalanced and slightly harsh profile.
- Had not many whiskys that differ so much in the aroma of the nose. He seems somewhat inharmonious and strange but has quite surprising moments and a certain range of flavors - 19.05.2017
Cereals, rye, pumpernickel, nutmeg, spicy, orange compote, pomelo
Surprisingly mild, the spiciness can not be found here, fruit sweetness, malt sweetness, floral, citrus flavors, muffin, marble cake, honey candy, chamomile
- [November, 2014] I had this dram during a community tasting near Bonn. I bought the bottle for 35 Euro in July, 2011.In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50
- 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 82,5. I took no detailed notes.
- A very full and rich, but not at all round Dram. Interesting and really delicious in a special way.
Highly interesting. Nutmeg and Sandelholzoel, spicy and fine. Behind it dark, sweet fruit in honey, chocolate with raisins, cinnamon and cloves. A sweet-spicy, dark mixture.
Now and then in the background a slightly "sprittige" note, as from a Lagerkorn.
Peppery. Behind it, spicy. More nutmeg and cinnamon, chocolate and sweet raisin. Behind it syrup, plums and caramel. Eichenwuerze paired with honey. The "sprittigkeit" of the nose is repeated in background associations.
Long and warm, dark fruit, raisin, caramel, oak.
- "The newest addition to Diageo`s `Distiller`s Edition` series is Royal
Lochnagar - and the packaging`s had a facelift too. This has been
Double Matured in `Fine Old Muscat-Wood`, so expect more sweetness than
the standard-issue 12yo."
- A gentle dram with a weak nosing, nevertheless its good for longer "mouthsquirls".
sweet-fruity, muscat wine, sandlewood(?), weak aroms - all aroms seem to stay in the background
smooth, short wooden note, then sweet and malty, creamy sandlewood, elegant and subtle, weak fruits, oily on the tongue
more wood, more malt, quite long