- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Pure Highland Malt Scotch Whisky
- Stated Age
- 12 years old
- 40.0 % Vol.
- 750 ml
- Bottled for
- by John Walker & Sons Ltd.
- Added on
- 19 Feb 2009 5:56 pm
2 × in wishlist
42 × member ratings
124 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Cardhu 12-year-old
4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.60 points
- [February, 2015] Together with friends I emptied a bottle that I bought for 62 Euro in January, 2015.In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 87,5. My notes simply state "Super Trinkstoff!" (easy drinkable stuff).
- N: Theres a mixture here of some favourable notes and some less so. Smells like a 50/50 single malt and affordable blend combo. I like the honeyed, salty, caramel nuttiness and the odd waft of soapy citrus, indicative of Speyside, but then it shows another altogether more ungainly side - mouldy, dusky casks, fermented satsumas and a murkiness associated with many blends. As this settles, the less favourable elements settle down, the nuttiness becomes huskier and it becomes so malty you can smell the yeasty wash back.
T: Citrus initially although the sprit is soft to the palate, but after a few sips it reveals itself to be a relaxed sweet malt mouthful with a touch of salt. The wash back maltiness re-reveals itself when the caramel subsides. Figs, hints of orange and toffee help to maintain flavour interest. Wood, pepper and spirit build together nicely.
F: Orange and waxy aniseed freshness manage to overcome the nutty caramel, fudge reprise with a long malty sustain.
C: Good, well balanced, accessible malt. The nose is its biggest drawback but everything else is working although its clearly subdued with the abv and added E150a. Overall, this 12yo lacks firepower and complexity but this would make for a very good introductory single malt for a novice and/or blend drinker.
Scores a C+
- Fruity and malty aroma, vanilla, green apples, oranges, ripe melon, mint and mango. Vanilla sweet taste, mint, nutmeg, orange marmalade, toffee and malt. Medium long, sweet and malty end.