Macduff 1974 HB

1974
Strength
15 oct 2014 9:42 am by duerer79

Whisky reviews for Macduff 1974 HB

One user has left a review for this whisky. Average rating is 32.00 points.

[July, 2017]  WARNING - this is a TASTE BUD KILLER!

After I had this dram all following whiskies were dull and disgusting - that is why I tested my taste buds with a reference dram (WB id 20657) that I know very well and drink regularly.  Surprisingly this was flat, unimpressive and offered strange notes so it was clear that my taste buds had been corrupted by this Macduff.  It took half a pack of chocolate with 85% cocoa and several slices of cheese to restore them to a somewhat acceptable level again on that evening (still not 100 per cent, so I had to wait 24 hours to do tasting notes again).  By the way, I tasted this together with a friend and he described the same problems with his taste buds...

This all is very strange as the Macduff itself shows almost no flavours or aromas at all, the nose is very shy and even a little punchy (despite 43% abv only).  After a while some grassy and plastic aromas pop up that are rather unpleasant.  The colour is amber and the texture shows medium legs and some sticky tears.  The mouthfeel is very peppery and astringent on plastic and metallic notes.  All the time during the taste and finish and even a long time after the tasting ended there is an unpleasant astringent mouthfeel as if someone wrapped a plastic foil over the tongue and teeth.  This most probably is the reason why one can forget to drink any other dram after that - they all taste dull and with plastic notes.  It is extremely unpleasant, I never had this before...

The taste itself is dull too and just a little sugary-sweet.  Completely unimpressive as is the short finish.  Water releases some more sugary aromas both in the nose and on the palate but still it smells and tastes rather like sugary water than a whisky. It seems as if this is a narcotic dram for both the taste buds and olfactory cells (because I cannot smell other drams after that one, too) and I needed about a day to fully recover from that.  At least it was an interesting experience to me (but if I had the option I would dispense such an experience) and I refuse to call this a whisky - this is plastic liquid!

PS:  I bought this bottle for 67 Euro in November, 2004.
    • Taste