89.06/100
2014
Strength
12 Oct 2014 7:28 am by Hare&Copper

Whisky Reviews for Glen Garioch 1990 BR

22 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.06 points

[October, 2017] Part two of my little new tasting project to find out if all Glen Garioch distilled in the early nineties really are above average or if I can find a below average sample. Tonight two Berrys' bottlings in a head-to-head: This 23-year old distilled in 1990 versus a 21-year old distilled in 1993 (WB id 65095). I bought the 23y for 136 Euro and the 21y for 120 Euro both in July, 2015.

Another two superb drams of early nineties Glen Garioch that I like even more than yesterdays' already pretty good A.D. Rattray's. No below-average dram so far (after five different bottlings). I am curious if it stays that way...

[September, 2019] I re-tasted this dram tonight and I have to say I like it a little less than with my first review. Tonight I would go for a 88-89 points score because of a rather limited complexity, but still this is an impressive taste no doubt.
      The colour of the 23y is amber and shows a texture of late slow legs and sticky tears. The 21y is significantly darker at russetmuscat and the texture shows even later legs that move a little bit faster than the 23y's ones and late sticky tears, too. The 23y offers a nice nosing profile of grassy, herbal and vanilla-toffee aromas in a great balance, I like that. After some minutes the vanilla-toffee aromas grow stronger and dominate the others, unfortunately. The nose of the 21y is modern style sherry-driven with raisins, herbs, chocolate and dried fruits. After a while of breathing it offers more forest aromas like wet duff and pine needles. Nicely balanced too and I like it better than the 23y.
    • Taste
      The taste of the 21y shows a typical modern style sherry profile without any flaws that I can find. It is quite complex and balances the sherry-induced flavours with the malty aromas and wooden notes in a nice way. No, the sherry is neither dominating the nose nor the taste. The 23y offers the typical "crème brûlée" profile of a Glen Garioch matured in bourbon casks that you either like or not. I do like it because it is not one-dimensional but surrounded by a lot of spices, earthy and chalky flavours. Nevertheless I prefer the 21y because of its more subtle and complex taste. Some water turns the 23y smoother and more approachable but be cautious as too much reduction flattens the great profile. I like the 23y best when neat but I strongly recommend to experiment with water on that (if you have more than just a small sample at your hands). The 21y offers significant additional aromas and flavours when reduced with some water and I like it that way best. Again, do not add too much of it (but it will NOT turn the dram bitter as it happens so often with sherry matured whiskies) so playing with water is okay as long as you can raise the strength again with adding some neat whisky from the bottle.
      The 23y arrives on the palate a little hot and peppery with a bold coating feeling and no distracting moments (really good!). The 21y is warming and a little less coating than the 23y and has no distracting feelings either. Here I like the 23y a little more. Both own a (very) long finish without any bitter or drying moments. The 23y shows more tobacco and lime notes that nicely counter the sweet vanilla-toffee flavour. The 21y adds some sweet and sour sherry flavours to the finish that are quite interesting to explore, together with more spices. A very different profile of the two drams again but both are great, I vote for a draw on this dimension.

2. p4blo scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

A hidden gem.
      White chocolate and tons of yellow and green fruits - gooseberry, mango, kiwi, lime, apple. Some honey, cheesecake, vanilla custard and shortbread. Amazing.
    • Taste
      Milk chocolate, toffee, honey, white currant, gooseberry, Slightly sweet, very fruity and perfectly balanced.
      Very long with echoes of toffee and white fruits lingering on the tongue together with a delicate spiciness.

3. St. Pauli scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

I've read a review saying that this was a sort of Jamaican Scotch. In a way, I can follow this line of reasoning, given the sugary and fruity tropical elements. Nevertheless it's quite earthy and dirty too. A special dram, highly to my liking

SGP: 562
      Sugared and honeyed barley, heather, moss, clay, a little vanilla, tea, tobacco, peach, banana, grass, engine oil (or an old workshop), molasses, spices.
    • Taste
      Oily, full-bodied, sweet, pleasantly astringent. Sprices, banana, sugar, honey, earth, pu-erh tea, tobacco, engine oil, vanilla.
      Pepper, tobacco, honey, banana, grass, earth, moss, still pu-erh tea, and warming spices.With water, some lime juice kicks in.

4. WLUO scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

5. tangtang scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Very tasty malt, wonderful nose, beautiful complex aroma combination, I like it very much.
      Soft round nose, spicy, a lot of oak, slightly sweet with fruit, a hint of banana, slightly nutty, citrus fruits, herbs, I would mean a little heather, a slight tinge of alcohol with a deep breath
    • Taste
      Lots of citrus on the tip of the tongue, strong spicy approach, becoming fruity and sweet, some honey, lots of berries, a real fruit basket, lots of herbs and a bit spicy. Chocolate comes very easily in the background.
      soft finish, slightly spicy, becoming nutty and creamy, dark chocolate, oily, about medium length, hint of citrus fruits. Fruits on the palate are also present, if not as pronounced.

6. Macerik scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

7. spigray scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

a little buttery in the beginning which is not my fav. style but after a few moments dried fruit come to the front, some fresh fruits too. So we have gooseberries, raspberries, oranges, some sultanas and prunes.While the butter vanishes we get some aromas of damp earth, rotting leaves, moss, leathery notes too.
      with water: the foresty notes are getting stronger, eucalyptus
    • Taste
      moss, pine sap, eucalyptus. The fruits have stepped back except for the oranges. Does not change much with water, becoming slightly dry with tastes of tobacco and black tea.
      The finish is long on eucalyptus and black tea

8. ARDBERG scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

A very nice unusual sherry dram where the aceito balsamico brings out the best of the icecream, raisins & nuts, sherry, without letting it get too sweet. Almost like a spring time honey. Wants you to go for more.

From a 5cl sample (my liver says thank you;-))
      Some aceito balsamico, damp forrest earth, rum truffle and straciatella icecream, quite heavy on raisins.
    • Taste
      More icecream and raisins & raisins, one slice of orange, subtle aceito balsamico.
      The icecream sticks and the raisins even more. The aceito keeps it from being too sweet and sticky. My mouth is watering, wants you to go for more. If I had a big bottle there would be a big risk of it being empty quite quickly.

[November, 2015]  Together with friends I emptied a bottle that I bought for 136 Euro in September, 2015.In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 90.  My notes state a delicious and incredible complex profile with a very long finish.

10. greg_0277 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

Alcohol is very present on the nose, with strong notes of solvent but leaves some smells of smoke, coffee with milk, water makes him feel good. The texture is very oily, the alcohol is always present in the mouth, a little too much. It shows a slight earthy side, leather and I find a semblance of cognac (rancio / grape). With water, it takes a turn more focused on caramel, which disgusts me a little. The finish is medium, more persistent by the alcoholic side than by its aromas and a little liquorice. Complex, difficult, not what I prefer but it's still good