- Single Malt
- The Whisky Fair (WF)
- Stated Age
- 19 years old
- Sherry Butt
- Number of bottles
- 60.6 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 24 Dec 2008 2:18 pm
13 × in wishlist
82 × member ratings
83 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Karuizawa 1988 WF
9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.78 points
- Polish fruits raisins sherry candied orange cedar wood sweet spices, really nice
- Delicious part!
The fragrance flows out of the glass powerfully - Immediately I sit in an old leather armchair by a fireplace. Here it smells of furniture polish on old dark closet walls, a bottle of old Sherry stands open. Dark chocolate is melted in the kitchen, raisins and finely chopped walnuts are added, and the smell of this mixture penetrates the nose. The ashtray still contains the smoldering ashes of a cigar. A bowl of dried dates is also on the table. One of the gentlemen in the room is probably caught a cold - subtly comes a touch of Vick Vaporub to the nose, menthol-fresh
A freshly brewed Italian espresso. A piece of dark chocolate with 99% cocoa content. This is garnished with a few raisins, which were inserted in dark forest honey. In the mouth, the flavors interweave to a tart-sweet melange. But there is still a subtle taste - the peppermint candy of an hour ago is easily noticeable with a freshness that flashes out.
Long remains the memory of this malt, if you slide your tongue through the mouth inside you taste oak and the tart sweetness
- I like it a lot, it has a little bit of edge, which gives it nice character, combined with the well-integrated power that spreads it all over ... pretty much my thing.
Cherry juice, plums, light raisins and old furniture, calvados, dark chocolate and hazelnut, a few dates, dark malt, dark honey, cardamom and ginger, a touch of shoe polish
First pure dark chocolate sauce, then creme de cassis, ginger, camphor, Brenesseltee, leather, cardamom, nutmeg, a little green apple in between, grapefruit, cherry, blood orange, overall beautiful mixture of herbs, sweetness and acidity, roasted hops, then again something few, a touch of coal
Dry, beautiful fruit bowl, grapefruit and red apple, malt, dark honey, trail mix, oldschol, long and warming, remains long in the mouth
- I tasted this Whisky first in 2009 - i have the Impression this Whisky improved after 9 years in the bottle. From my Memory there were more sharp edges to it when tasted in 2009.
Starts with raisins, old furniture, maybe a bit shoe polish, varnishing,
figs?, sweet with a bit coal, rainshower on warm Asphalt, varnishing, fruity. Thick texture with a bit metallic mouthfeel. develops Menthol and cough syrup/herbal tastes later
mouth coating, sweet,
- This bottle was sold 1150€ on The Whisky Auction Society in January 2017.
- http://www.weinkenner.de/2012/japanischer-cask-strength-whisky-von-nikka-und-karuizawa-22913/2/ Color: Copper - Amontillado Sherry
Nose: sweet heavy sherry, dark chocolate with raisins, vanilla and a smoky gum note.
Taste: Full-bodied sherry, which turns into a salty pepperiness after a few seconds. Sultanas and dark cocoa notes wrapped in smoke.
With water: In the nose it is quite thin and very woody. On the other hand, water in the taste brings a gain of flavors and a fantastic creaminess.
Finish: Very long and spicy, with cocoa flavors and a light oak note.
Comment: A heavy, powerful malt that needs time to breathe. The beautiful creaminess, which comes through a few drops of water to light, is worth a bonus for me! 89 points
- This is a brilliant first-fill sherried Karuizawa, very fruity, bold and clean, very classic Karuizawa. It should be some of the top vintages in 80s, and can be compared with many 70s too.