- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Stated Age
- 15 years old
- Sherry Cask Finish
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 50 ml
- Added on
- 28 Aug 2014 9:54 pm by Herbertsson
0 × in wishlist
21 × member ratings
77 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Bowmore Darkest
4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 81.61 points
- I'm a huge Bowmore fan and actually always keep a closed bottle of 12 year old at hands, but this one is really dissapointing I have to agree with previous ratings, and yeah darkest and colouring hmmmm.... maybe with sepia it would be even darker ;-). The 15 years add a bit of smokiness strangely, but the rest is just as bowmore 12 and for my palate not as good.
- A nice easygoing and quite exciting-complex Bowmore (the Darkest version). Have fun as an "easy-drinking" standard.
Dried fruit; dark fruits; Vanilla; Smoke (campfire), in the background some oak; nice nose
the cedar wood is recognizable; dark fruits; Caramel; pleasant oak (slightly dry); Smoke well integrated; dark chocolate; tart coffee notes
tingling spiciness on the tongue; slightly bitter oak flavors; persistently smoky
- The moniker "Darkest" was always somewhat ironic given that Bowmore's entire core range contains caramel colourant, seems the people at Bowmore also realised this with their new "15 Year Old." That said, the name derived from the fact that the final three years of maturation were in Oloroso casks. Where the nose of the 12 was characterised by the signature Bowmore "cough drops" aroma, the 15 is initially dominated by the Oloroso. It is only with time that the raisins make room for the cough drops and gentle smoke to join in. Like the 12, the smoke is more apparent on the palate, however here it is heavy and bitter. Unfortunately the taste is spoilt by a rather unpleasant note that I can't quite put my finger on. The finish is likewise a little too short and too bitter. My advice is to save your pennies and buy the 12.
- Actually, a good whisky, but not right for me: A designation as "Darkest" does not fit when dyes are used.