- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Single Malt Whisky
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 12 Mar 2014 7:18 pm by Stijn
27 × in wishlist
250 × member ratings
716 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Hakushu Distiller's Reserve
38 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 82.35 points
- Colour 18 points - light oak
Nose 20 points - barley sugar, kumquat , green apple
Palate 20 points - rich , malty, orange peel
Finish 23 points, warm lingering slight spice and dark chocolate
- 21 21 21 21 84
It is quite drunk, rounded, without flaws
Fresh, very pleasant, whole. Vanilla, young wood, fudge, caramel (“Snowball”), carpentry workshop motifs (but very delicately), apple juice, fresh newspaper, wet cardboard, meringue, candy (fruit drops). 22
From light to medium, moderately dry. Pepper, ascorbic acid, sweet citrus, oak tannins, lozenges, salted caramel. 21
From short to medium in length, smoothly fading. Oak motifs are not replaced by the most pleasant bitterness. Over time, metallic notes and phantom smoke are added. nineteen
Pleasant, light, drinkable, though not complicated whisky with a speyseider character. Balance 21.
- A light herbaceous peat is felt. We are in the forest. Heather, moisture, moss, iodized freshness. On the palate, still peat and heather, it is grassy but not bitter. Long enough, the vegetable peat rises, notes of green tea. It's really a good whisky.
- On the nose: Peatiness (not as heavy as the lagavulin 8, fruit flavours.. sweetness and you can definitely get that oak barrel in there.
Taste: Burst in your mouth spicy, aged wood, smoky and vanilla-ish sweetness
Finish: medium.. and I could only feel the smokiness persist
In my view, this is a great whisky for the price point and point in time (now). Japanese whisky prices are off the roof at the moment but this will not disappoint a guest or a group of friends getting together.
- This is a subtle single malt. It is different, fresh and, I would say, definitely Japanese. Maybe a bit singular. The nose was very pleasing, but the taste disappointed a bit. Just a tad too young perhaps?
This is indeed green and fresh with hints of smoke. So far, we follow the expected road. Vegetably (is that a word?) with cucumber and other green fruits that are infused with smoke. I also detect orange blossom, lychees, freshly pressed oranges, citrus sweets and smoked fish. A subtle nose, albeit slightly underwhelming.
Oh quite spicy, and much expressive compared to the nose. The spiciness is clearly different to what I am customed to in Scotch, so could this be the Japanese style? I find mints and sweet oranges. Then a citrus burst, which develops into earthy notes, barley, sour bread, and becomes herbal. The palate falls slightly short compared to the subtlety and complexity of the nose.
Quite drying, reminding me of one of the Alsatian white wines, I would say Gewürztraminer.
- Conclusion: appetizing, interesting, sweet-smoky whisky. Rating: 84 (n22, t20, f21, b21)
Aroma: The first nose - creamy candy, caramel, marmalade - (as if found himself on a children's holiday). Deeper - baking and almost imperceptible hint of smoke.
Taste: sweets, candies, sugar candy and a few phenols.
Finish: medium duration, repeating the palette, only smoked echoes are felt much stronger and come to the fore.