Hazelburn Rundlets & Kilderkins

Strength
14/001
29 Jan 2014 7:34 pm by bert61nl

Whisky Reviews for Hazelburn Rundlets & Kilderkins

55 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.86 points

1. Jackson05 scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

What a great dram! I wasn’t sure what to expect with some mediocre excitement in some reviews. It’s very similar to springbank 10. A little cleaner, with more salt, punchier, a little peatier (what a surprise!). Dare I say I like this more than my beloved Springbank 10? Pushing 91 to me, but let’s temper our excitement. A well made malt. I would seek out another. I like it better than the Longrow Rundlets (88)
      A surprising whiff of peat (ash) to kick things off. Minerals toned down, some lime, liquid honey, peach and apricot. Fresh, clean, assertive.
    • Taste
      Oily, viscous, even slightly waxy. It’s not far off from Springbank 10 to me. Perhaps a little punchier. Lychee, matcha, apricot, salt, vanilla, very soft minerals, a little licorice.
      Great salty finish. Surprisingly long with peach, lychee, lime, green tea. It’s a salt rimmed margarita, with a little ash in the back. Really great finish.

2. thijs100 scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

It has that great Springbank fingerprint, yet it lacks a bit of balance and complexity. That said, I would certainly not say no to another dram.
      Hints of paraffin and ozone, as well as a fairly outspoken minerality. It oozes that Springbank DNA. A subtle earthiness accompanies honey and wax, with some toasted cereals and peaches as well.
    • Taste
      Big, oily spirit with a pinch of salt, and a good amount of almonds and roasted peanuts. A hint of chili pepper too, as well as licorice.
      Lingering spices and a whiff of toasted oak.

3. ctu scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

Complex, but restrained Hazelburn. Interesting whisky.
      Fresh. Peach, marzipan, hay, antique leather, medicines, herbals and peanut butter.
    • Taste
      Oily and fresh. Salted minerals, grass, almond, banana, pepper and lemon peel.
      Medium length, spicy.

4. Calmar scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

Well, not bad at all, very good, oak mole - the oak everywhere, but very carefully framed by other components, it was very balanced and balanced, I liked it, although I'm not a fan of the wood dominant.
      Woody, oak, fresh bark, old wooden furniture, a bit of varnish, the smell of dry potatoes in the vault, dust, earth, weak peat, a little citrus, light smoke in the background, dried apples, apple jam.
    • Taste
      Oak wave framed by a burnt caramel and pepper burning, dense and saturated, burnt rye breadcrumbs, creamy tones - toffee, fudge; dried fruits.
      The continuation of taste, the strong extinction of all components, everything with some residual halftones, dry, a little more remains of oak and burnt sugar, opens up during the tasting, becomes brighter and sweet, filled with citrus, orange crusts in syrup, lemonade tones.

5. KayMeertens scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

For a non-peated malt, the ashy character is remarkable. Also that perfumy rose scent is very particular. The current average score of 87.5 is exactly right in my opinion, I'm having a hard time choosing between 87 and 88.
      First rose perfume, very sweet. Then lime, mango, apricot, papaya, ginger, vanilla, caramel, almond and a little malt.
    • Taste
      Lime, ash, mango, chocolate, honey, vanilla, litchi and roses.
      Mocha, lime, ash, caramel, lychee and again those rose petals.

6. Palindrome scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

My bottle is a bit flat at this point. It's been sitting in my cabinet. I'm not a big fan of this bottling. It has a lot of things I love about Springbank.

Such as . . . how did a bit of ash creep in here when all of the barley was cured with electric dryers? Residual left in the still from a Springbank run? Obviously, but how does that happen with a triple distilled offering? I guess from the first distillation and the ash kept clinging through the other two and a half like a phantom ghost note? I'm answering all of my own questions. Call me "the speculator" in this review. Herlock Sholmes. Deductive tasting (and smelling).

No, there ain't any Springbank funk present in me glass, as might be expected if there were a toucha peat ash in thar. I'm not keen on what I take to be a perfume scent. The nose is slightly offputting. It reminds me a little of Bowmore Dawn, which I did not like. Other than these downsides, the malt is very good.

I've taken off a full point for the weird perfume thing. A bit old lady perfumish, artificial floral seeming. However .. . on the positive side, there's a fairly crisp, clean almost dry mouthfeel as one would expect from a triple distilled whisky, but not from such a young whisky. The regular Hazelburn is too young for that.

I like the finish quite a bit. It's medium but satisfying. Fruity notes here remind me a little of the Campbeltown Loch 21. A bit more tropical in this case. Papaya and guava instead of apples and pears, but then again that blend had some Speysides so it's not a good yardstick. I think there was 21 year old Hazelburn in the Loch, however, and more than a little. It's worth remembering this whisky aged in tiny casks is only ten years old, but it had a lot of contact with wood in such little casks. A pretty good finish for a ten year, if one can even call it that by industry standards due the experimental nature of what has been done. My favorite in this line was the Springbank, then the Longrow, then the Hazelburn. I don't think we will see other medium sized batches of little casks like this again. Too much work for Springbank. Somebody's pet project. But on a fairly grand scale. I guess strategically, it only added to the Springbank mystique as "that eccentric distillery in Campbeltown, a place that was once the whisky capital of Scotland and now is known for pretty much the brainchildren of the same guiding force (Mitchell).

7. nhuber scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

Great one, higher strength and cask influence from the smaller casks take it to the next level compared to regular hazelburn 10. Love it. 89/90

8. alex..w..fan scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

21 22 21 21 85

Very good!

9. DrBardamu scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

10. Falnor scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

A nice dram with nice flavours, but I expected a more complex dram because of the 'Rundlets & Kilderkins' It gave more vanilla and oak.