- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- 13th Release
- Stated Age
- 12 years old
- Refill American Oak Casks
- 55.1 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 08 Sep 2013 11:20 am
52 × in wishlist
284 × member ratings
857 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Lagavulin 12-year-old
43 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.81 points
- A very pungent one, this Lagavulin. Rather one that is focussed on impact, precision and quality, than on development and complexity. But it is certainly very good at what it does. Albeit not my favourite Lagavulin so far.
- Nose: sugar cane, vanilla, marine salt, coal/peat
Taste: smoke, salt, oranges
Finish: ashy, salty, bitter
An excellent Laga!
- Sweet, spicy, smoky with vanilla and citrus fruits and above all neat power!
- The My Bloody Valentine of malts.
Ephemeral, singeing, medicinal, iodine, sawdust. Explosive! Wet peat on a campfire.
Thin and oily, drying. Sweet and smoky, overpowering. Obnoxious really. Ridiculous but somehow delicate, giving way to charred malt.
Smoked cinnamon, numbing, warming, and supremely satisfying.
- Blindtasting tip: Bourbon barrel, maximum 10 years, maximum 50%, Caol Ila Resolution: The skin does not kill me.
Grainy smoke, citrus notes, ashen and maritime, behind it comes some apple, later I smell wall paint
Smoke, vanilla, some effervescent powder, citrus sweetness, oak flavor
The smoke is again very grainy, slightly bitter finish, some heat
- might need to do a blind tasting where i put the 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th and 17th in a direct competition. first need to get my hands on a 2017 edition!
- This bottling saved the distillery for me as I was about to totally write-off Lagavulin, but yowza!!! The 12yo is both hands-down, pound-the-table, light-years ahead of the 16yo!