- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- The Distillers Edition
- Double matured in Pedro Ximenez Sherry Wood
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml 1000 ml
- Added on
- 03 Oct 2011 9:47 am
41 × in wishlist
74 × member ratings
181 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Lagavulin 1980
7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.71 points
- Nice sherried laga but a bit thin, quite enjoyable nonetheless
- Today I'm tasting this whisky which was part of a virtual tasting from a local festival which included a flight of Lagavulin DE 1980, Ardbeg Ardbog, Bowmore Hand Filled 1999, and Port Ellen 1979 CS from G&M. Let's see how this one tastes.
Nose starts with aromas of maritime salt, then light smoke, light sherry notes of chocolate and figs, then soft notes of strip bacon, and finally some citrus zest.
Palate is oily with salted chocolate, bacon smoke, and citrus zest.
Finishes with salted chocolate fudge, more smoked bacon, oily pepper jelly.
- I was introduced, properly, to single malt in the mid ‘90’s and have never looked back. I purchased six bottles of this Lagavulin DE in 1999 and have three left. Every time I return to this whisky, it is still my favorite. Big, luscious, sherry-smoke. There may be better whiskies out there, but I have not seen one yet...I will keep looking.
- Not a power monster but elegant and interesting.
Sherry then peat and malt, very interesting.
An oily body well present.
Long persistence but power while lightness.