BenRiach 12-year-old Horizons

Strength
2012/06/19 16:02 LF30421
28 Dec 2010 12:14 pm

Whisky Reviews for BenRiach 12-year-old Horizons

29 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.26 points

1. Greenkeeper scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

After opening one of my two bottles I can quote myself, that (now) ~ 82-83 points
    "only show, that this expression is ridiculously unterrated"
    (my first notes were written after drinking a 10 cl sample) The dram needs a few drops of water and at least 5 minutes to settle down, then any alcoholic strength you might have felt initially had faded away for good.I'm still thinking that this expression is a kind of a masterpiece regarding price and quality. Wondering if this really is a 12year-old. It seems a lot older to me.

Other expressions that were distributed in more than one batch had older stuff in it, after the distillery ran out of stock with whisky of a needed quality of the proclaimed age. It seems to me like this might be possible with this one.

Also I wonder about many notes of fellas here telling us that the finish is short.

My experience is different: The fade comes quite fast, but after some time I get a strong "flashback" feeling of lingering, wonderful zesty and fresh red apples ("jonagold" or "red prince"). Regarding that, I'd say that the finish is very long.

Maybe there is more than one batch and the expression got better after the first batch. I'm sticking to my 87 points and will think about buying another bottle - but hey, don't forget I'm a BenRiach fanboy. I also think that the triple distillation done at BenRiach ist recognizable: All triple distilled BenRiach expressions I've tasted so far (3) had a certain, wonderful creamy mouthfeel that added to all the typical BR perceptions and that were missing in the regular double distilled BR expressions. I was told that this can be achieved either by triple distillation or by time, temperature and alcoholic strength of the spirit when the feints are tapped-off. So maybe this wonderful creaminess is a triple distilled BenRiach feature.

2. André scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

a super fine ben riach, he stood in the cupboard next to the solstice in the same kind of box, but this is very different coffee.

3. MadScientist scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

4. dRambo scored this whisky 81 points Connoisseur

5. dRambo scored this whisky 81 points Connoisseur

I'll cut it short - I do not like it - I do not like the herbal note, nor the bitterness - even the finery is not my thing - if it had been my first malt, I would have let it go. Is that a bad malt? No - the quality is quite obvious - I understand the Maltheads who appreciate such a creamy 12 year old with a nice 50% - I just like other whisky
      In the nose a fine herbal note - which reminds me directly of Auchentoshan and remotely to a young Irishman and personally I do not particularly like. He is really very creamy nose - the predominantly sweet base note - is superimposed by a sour red Gummibärchen note / effervescent powder - the finisch acts nose-mounted - not perfectly connected. When heated, it appears fuller and creamier on the nose - the artificial fruit acid is now slightly reminiscent of unripe yeasty wine and cheap balsamic
    • Taste
      quite intense onset - thin (not watered down) Sherrymalt - the fruity notes roll intensely at first - briefly over the tongue, then the alcohol bites first - the fruitiness is more thinned with more time in the mouth - it remains a sweet bitterness while chewing walnuts.
      slightly bitter herbs - oak, a touch of red berries and he is gone - short - what stays long is the alcoholic heat - you could say it warms nicely - it just burns for me

6. Rien scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur