Highland Park 18-year-old

L0624B L04
15 oct 2020 10:15 pm by Archangel
UncoloredChillfiltered

Whisky reviews for Highland Park 18-year-old

9 users have left 9 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 86.62 points.

1. Guenther70 scored this whisky 90 points Member Senior

Yes, I like it very much and the alcohol is almost imperceptible. Not as sherry-heavy as the older bottling. But that leaves room for other flavors;
      Spicy sherry accompanied by heather honey, oak vanilla and malt. A flowery, citrus-like scent and a touch of peat with an idea of saltiness complete the very nice overall impression;
    • Taste
      Nicely balanced with sherry vanilla, honey and great pepper spiciness. Malt and dark chocolate. Peat is very sparse;
      Again sherry then a flood of malt. After the oak and pepper emerge, it becomes dry and fades away beautifully;

2. Create a free Whiskybase account to read all 9 reviews for this whisky
    Create free account
  3. WLGOAGN scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

Only after having a number of single cask CS IB’s do you completely understand how flat and uninteresting the OB’s can be. This is a perfect example. Overpriced for what is delivered. Come on HP, you can do much better.

4. MaltyMillionaire scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

An old favourite, but this version was slightly flatter than past versions.

5. DillaDonut1 scored this whisky 85 points Expert Junior

6. mr_braun scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

7. Erik1908 scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

Initially I thought I lost my sense of smell. There were hardly any flavors rising up from the glass. It took quite some time to open up on the nose. Hand-warming and time did the trick. Too low in abv (for me), so no full bodied dram. Pretty average in taste and finish. Hardly any depth or complexity.

Conclusion: I had expected a bit more of this. I guess this would have been better at 46 or 48% abv

8. whiskyfusel scored this whisky 78 points Member Senior

Well, this is my first Highland Park. Package and bottle are both beautiful! I read a lot about the excellent 18 year old of older days - so I have bought this newer edition Viking Pride (2019 batch) with quite some expectations.
    To be honest: I‘m not convinced yet!
    I don‘t find a lot of character in this whisky. I wasn‘t able to classify it as sweet, grainy or peaty, because I did not find any of these to be predominant. But it is not well balanced either. Bitterness might be the predominant note.

2019 batch:
    The nose is ok: Some nice sweetness. Some Honey. Barley. No Smoke - not really. Enjoyable.
    The palate: Here start my problems. Not sweet. Green herbs. Not much fruit. Not peaty. Quite bitter. Astringend. Not fun.
    Finish: Bitter. Dry. Herbs.

I have tried it now on 4 different occasions and I really wanted to like it.
    But there is no love between us yet.
    I think that the old HP 18 year old must have been a different formula - according to the good reviews, but these do not match my bottle of Viking Pride.
    I am looking forward to taste the HP Cask Strength 1st edition, the Twisted Tattoo 16 year old, the Ragnvald and „The Light“ 17 year old and - the older HP 18 year old 2016 edition! - hoping very much to find more pleasure with them..."

9. bvrsky scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

10. detachedblue scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

Pear drop, bready, a bit boring, thick herb syrup, briny, sweet orange, fresh
    • Taste
      Bready banana, some smoked ham, some dried mango
      Medium, minty and bready