86.03/100
Bourbon Hogshead
Strength
15 Aug 2009 5:58 pm

Whisky Reviews for Laphroaig 1998 WB

6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.03 points

1. KayMeertens scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Peat, limestone, orange and mint leaves.
    • Taste
      Peat, orange and gingerbread. With water a little mocha.
      Peat and spicy Printen.

2. Jean-Brice scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

Not bad even if I expected more!
      Peat
      New make
      Perry
      Shortbread
    • Taste
      Smoke
      acidulated
      Long on the wood fire
      Slight bitterness

3. corbuso scored this whisky 54 points Expert Senior

Very young, peaty, immature and rough. From a non-active cask.

I could barely drink it. Not a whisky for me.

4. I_SPEY scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

A rather complex, interesting whisky
    (liquidly and euroly).
      Smoky medicinal, leathery, peaty(of course!)and woody.
    • Taste
      PEAT and smoke. And I can realy taste the 57.1%, but after some drops of water, it's becoming nice, even very adorable! Lots of smoke and peat and sweet(bourbon)wood as well.
      Long and lingering.

5. peathead scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

I’ve had (IB’s) Laphroaig’s that cost me a lot more and they were far from being as good as this one. This certainly is a welcome addition to my collection!
      Neat:
      Immediately I get smoky notes underneath the high alcohol percentage. I pick up a scent of BBQ. It’s all in all very maritime. And although this whisky is a cask strength at 57.1 % vol. it doesn’t burn off my nostrils like some others.
      With water:
      Much better now. It opens up a lot more. The maritime characteristics are on the surface now. I pick up more peat and smoke than before. The BBQ smell is more pronounced. Nice.
    • Taste
      Neat:
      More on peat and smoke but it’s very hot on my tongue. There is one thing I don’t find. Sweet sherry influences from the cask (otherwise it wouldn’t be a bourbon hogshead now, would it). I don’t mind. It’s a bit more ‘in your face’ than most Laphroaig’s. It’s not an oily whisky either although it is kind of silky but it really needs some water.
      With water:
      Hmmm. The bourbon barrell does it job like it’s supposed to. A lot of smoke, peat, scorched wood and no sweetish sherry notes. It’s a very nice change. It’s a bit more ‘rough’ than usual, but I like it.
      Very long and lingering with a faint touch of smoke. After a few minutes I still feel the salty flavours on my lips.

6. joho did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

I tasted this whisky. It is a real Laphroaig, mecinal and smokey, but what i like about it ,is its comlexity, specialy for a reasonable young whisky.