Whiskybase

Breaking Down Borders

mrgood
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 07-04-2017 at 20:59 pm
The provinces have announced a sweeping agreement on inter-provincial trade. This is intended to make it easier to deal with cross-border issues in trade.  It will be a general agreement to cover everything, with any areas of conflict/concern being addressed as exemptions/annexes.  Alcohol will of course be one of those annexes and it has not yet been fully fleshed out, but the deal does specifically name alcohol as an area that will have a committee to hash out the details.  Change is coming my friends, stay tuned.  With any luck it might force other provinces to adapt a more flexible stance on liquor laws similar to Alberta.

Here's the current preliminary agreement:
mrgood
Posted on 07-04-2017 at 21:00 pm

Here's the section specifically addressing alcohol:

Working Group on Alcoholic Beverages
5. The Parties shall establish a working group on alcoholic beverages (“Alcoholic Beverages Working Group”) composed of representatives of each Party.

6. Within one year of the effective date, the Alcoholic Beverages Working Group shall submit a report to the Committee, which identifies specific opportunities and recommends initiatives to further enhance trade in alcoholic beverages within Canada, while being mindful of social responsibility and international obligations.

7. Further to paragraph 6, the report may include the identification of:
(a) new technologies and other approaches to improve consumer choice and convenience in the alcoholic beverages sector; and
(b) opportunities to address regulatory barriers to trade in alcoholic beverages to be considered by the RCT established under

Also, we'll have to wait and see what the committee comes up with, but in the meantime, see the Annex sections for exceptions for existing measures and future measures for your province.
  Edited on 07-04-2017 at 21:07 pm
JimmyLeg
Member Senior Senior Member
Posted on 08-04-2017 at 22:59 pm

This is kind of exciting. Any progress in expanding the variety of whisky I can actually get would be fantastic.

Charlie don't surf.
morgbug
Posted on 09-04-2017 at 06:36 am

I'll take my standard cynical stance until proven wrong.  While the notion of things evening out across the country to mesh with Alberta would be a dream come true, I'm fairly cynical that this ultimately won't happen.  Not that Alberta has the best prices on everything, we tend to have more than a few products at better prices (A'bunadh and most rums) but I expect the situation will be that we will hit an equilibrium pricepoint where the provinces figure out who is selling what for the highest price and move it to that point.  Alberta will be able to counter because of privatization but the rest of the country not so much.  

For example, Glendronach Allardice 18 y/o
B.C. $179.99
AB $134.99 (liquor direct)
SK NA
MB NA
ON $178.95
PQ $162.00
NS NA
NB $152.29
NL NA
PEI NA

I'm guessing the outcome using that example is that you can find Allardice across the country and/or they'll bring it in for you readily but the pricing will be standardized, probably at the $179.99 level meaning an increase for NB/PQ and no change for those at that level.  
I dearly hope I'm absolutely wrong on this but won't count on it.  It may well improve the variety in store or ability to bring in odd stuff but I think the pricing will suck relative to Alberta.  
  Edited on 09-04-2017 at 06:37 am
mrgood
Posted on 09-04-2017 at 23:57 pm

You're right to be skeptical, as it will remain up in the air until the committee figures things out and even then the existing exemptions may end up unchanged.  The thing people should be hoping for from a non-Albertan perspective is the possibility that companies will find it easier to do cross-border business (that's the entire point of the deal, generally speaking).  Wouldn't it be great if an Alberta online liquor shop could ship it outside of the province?

mrgood
Posted on 09-04-2017 at 23:59 pm

...and I wouldn't use Glendronach as an example.  The price of that has been on the rise for some time, and one shop in particular recently announced a 20% jump.

morgbug
Posted on 10-04-2017 at 03:29 am
mrgood wrote:

You're right to be skeptical, as it will remain up in the air until the committee figures things out and even then the existing exemptions may end up unchanged.  The thing people should be hoping for from a non-Albertan perspective is the possibility that companies will find it easier to do cross-border business (that's the entire point of the deal, generally speaking).  Wouldn't it be great if an Alberta online liquor shop could ship it outside of the province?

Yeah, that would be ideal if we could actually have stuff shipped within Canada.   The selection would then be wide open.  

On Glendronach, I only used it because it's a product I'm familiar with on the pricing and availability across Canada.  I'm a big fan of the distillery and have been stocking up for a while.  It was introduced locally right around the time that Macallan moved away from age statements here in Canada so it slid right in as a very solid replacement.  Our prices have increased dramatically.  The Parliament just over three years ago was $135; now it is $209.  The first bottle of Revival I bought locally was $63, the last I bought before it was sold out locally was $97.  

Might I ask which shop that was?  I'll be out in Edmonton in early May with the plan currently being to pick up 3-4 bottles of Glendronach to bring home.  I'm hoping prices will hold to an extent.  I did the same last year when I was out in Calgary and was able to pick up backups of Allardice and Parliament for what appear bargains relative to here in Manitoba (Allardice isn't actually available here at all).  
louich
Posted on 10-04-2017 at 14:39 pm

At the second this come true I am remorgaging the house and ordering a truck load of bottles from AB ! 

Drinking alcohol wont solve my problems, but neither will milk !
mrgood
Posted on 10-04-2017 at 17:15 pm
morgbug wrote:

I'm a big fan of the distillery and have been stocking up for a while. 

Might I ask which shop that was?  I'll be out in Edmonton in early May with the plan currently being to pick up 3-4 bottles of Glendronach to bring home.  I'm hoping prices will hold to an extent.  I did the same last year when I was out in Calgary and was able to pick up backups of Allardice and Parliament for what appear bargains relative to here in Manitoba (Allardice isn't actually available here at all).  
It was Kensington (case in point, their Parliament is $220 now).  I've complained about their prices in general a number of times recently.  To be fair it's not just them, but they do seem to be one of the pricier outfits in the city.  If I were looking for standard range Glendronachs, I'd probably check Co-op first.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Glendronach as well, just not the inflation of them.  I was lucky enough to stock up while the getting was good.  I even got a couple of glorious 1972 bottles for $400 each.  Looking at the prices those go for now, it's turned out to be a hell of a steal!

(Edit: by "city" I mean Calgary, I don't know the pricing situation in Edmonton)
  Edited on 10-04-2017 at 17:16 pm
morgbug
Posted on 11-04-2017 at 03:20 am

No worries, I've been to Calgary a few times and once you said Kensington, I knew what you were talking about.  Glorious shop and friendly/super knowledgeable staff but my current favorites in Calgary tend to be liquor depot, either on 17th I think, just south of downtown and the other one up by the stadium (Brentwood maybe?).  I love going into Kensington but tend to prefer the prices elsewhere.  I picked up a parliament from liquor depot last year (May) for $150.  

When I'm in Edmonton I'll either hit up the Liquor Depot stores (I believe their better stores go by a different name) or Co-op as I've already searched up a few locations close to where I'm staying.  I view this summer as the last time to even get most of the core line at reasonable pricing.  Getting single cask releases would be fabulous but I'll be ok if I just come home with 14 y/o virgin oaks and Allardice (or even Revival if it's still kicking around).
mrgood
Posted on 11-04-2017 at 20:54 pm
Edmonton's Co-ops are from a different association than Calgary, and I don't think they have liquor stores (though you could try Leduc).

Liquor Depot stores come in a wide variety of names (mostly because they buy out smaller shops on a fairly regular basis).  The ones you're thinking of in Edmonton are probably the Wine & Beyond shops.
morgbug
Posted on 12-04-2017 at 04:26 am

Yes, Wine and Beyond, thanks. 

I've also been told Solo, though their selection is much smaller than the larger Wine and Beyond stores.  KegnCork was another recommendation.  I'll likely be hitting W&B.  Their online store (part of liquordirect.ca) shows Revival still in stock ($105), Allardice at $135 and Parliament at $180.  I'll look at what else is in the aisles - I've been told one store has a Scotch aisle 40 feet long with Scotch lining both sides.  A few years back I got the Benriach single cask 2000 12 y/o bottling for dirt cheap and would happily buy from that line again, or whatever else might tickle my fancy, but the first thought will go to Glendronach.  
louich
Posted on 13-04-2017 at 20:55 pm

Do you guys still have some older ( before Cointreau) bottling around Calgary or Edmonton? 

I am hitching for more ( yes again) lol
louich
Posted on 13-04-2017 at 20:55 pm

Do you guys still have some older ( before Cointreau) bottling around Calgary or Edmonton? 

I am hitching for more ( yes again) lol
You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018

Forgot your password?

Login