88.23/100
Strength
50 ml 700 ml
19 Aug 2017 9:22 am by Jour.Ray

Whisky Reviews for Port Charlotte 2002 MoS

17 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.23 points

1. Mannix65 scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

Spicy cheese and resin stand undiluted in the glass, with the addition of water the aroma quickly changes into caramel and toffee. A long-hung Pata Negra ham exudes its fleshy sweetness, behind it is an open can of freshly ground cocoa powder.
    The taste is complemented by red fruits. The long finish is dry and contains a lot of oak.

Although I'm not a PC fan, I find him to be a very pleasant contemporary, because he doesn't show the sour cucumber barrel character of the PC, which otherwise disturbs me. Nice.
    However, the price is pretty high.

2. Oogadal scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

Well, a Red Wine cask (finished??) 2002 Port Charlotte. Must say, I've doubted some time before buying this rather expensive bottle, but 5 people rating average 92 pulled me over. There's a song by Jim Diamond; I Should Have Known Better, and that's exactly what this Port Charlotte is all about. Makes me wonder about rating whisky's once again. Is it because the 92 raters never had a real 92p dram? By no means does this come even close to the pretty brilliant Blackadder 2001 Port Charlotte. Is it bad? No, it's not, but definitely not worth € 180, it would have been a ok deal for € 90. Why?? Well, 1st of all it lacks the typical Port Charlotte 'power' and peaty, oilyness that PC fans love that much. It is a rather 'thin' dram, not by ABV, but it simply lacks depth, pretty one dimensional. Makes me wonder if this is matured in a bourbon barrel and finished in a rather average red wine cask. It does have some sourness that red wine matured whisky's sometimes have, which is't a bad thing, as long as it's not overwhelming. (this isn't overwhelming)

I won't bother to describe all flavours as there aren't too many.

Save you money for something worth € 180.

3. HammerHead scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

To me this is a pretty good bottling (fits my profile), though the syrupy sweetness comes across as a bit artificial. Also like a lot of MoS bottlings of the last two years it's just too pricey, though at a 35-40% discount I would probably buy this (now where to find such an offer....?).
      A mild smokiness considering this is a PC. Some sweet soy sauce, barbeque meats, a round and syrupy sweet red fruitiness, also quite nutty, just a tad salty and some curry like spices and cinnamon in the background. Not a bad dram at all, but too expensive indeed. Actually this reminds me most of the 2019 Rhinns bottling by MoS, which is a 'lightly' peated Laddie (actually displaying fatter smoke than this one) and was almost half the price (and half the age) of this expression.
    • Taste
      Fairly simple but pleasing: again a profound syrupy sweet fruitiness, also sharper smoke notes than in the nose, honied liquorice, black pepper and some roasted nuts.
      Quite long: first the syrupy fruits and sweet liquorice quickly dissipating into a prolongued peppery oak wood.

4. Kantenmechaniker scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

The red wine comes through properly, quite wild and with rough edges, I like it quite well, but it would not be a bottle that I would buy now
      dry, salty smoke, red fruit, cherry, more acidic than sweet, cereals, quite fresh, malt, dark chocolate, if you warm it up a little, then damp tobacco is added, wineier, more intense, more pleasant, the acidity is almost in the direction Yogurt, mint
      After the first sip, it really opens up, much more chocolaty and fruity, but the smoke is more reserved, including marzipan
    • Taste
      starts massive, very vinous, creamy, totally oily, cherry, acid, caramel, laddie now comes through, clearly cinnamon, spicy smoke, vanilla, dark chocolate after the start, quite intense, not smoothly ironed
      getting sweeter, berry, slightly effervescent, salt on the tip of the tongue, more chocolate, cinnamon smoke on the palate, pleasant, warming, creamy, long, with grapes

5. Indianerhäuptling scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

6. DerDennis! scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

blind tasting

I think that's good too, but nothing that I would have to buy immediately as Ardbeg and Laphi Fan. By the way, I exclude at this point times daring that this is Ardbeg or Laphi. Nor Lagavulin and Bowmore. But what then? Now would be idle to enumerate the rest of Islay ... most likely reminds me of the current PC 10. I do not know.
    I would say that has not much more than 10 years and over 50% alcohol, and the barrel ... ex-bc. Since I can not find anything really fruity here, I exclude other barrel types or finishs.
      sweet, spicy, clear smoke, smoked ham, pepper, salty, roasted almonds, honey, sea breeze, iodine, malt. Very nice flavors, but not very complex for me, which of course can be due to the smoke. I always have trouble deciphering a whisky. In any case, I put this here to Islay!
    • Taste
      sweet, light spicy, pleasant campfire smoke, honey, tannins, salty, even the ham is there, herbs. Jo, I'm sure I landed on Islay. But do I know that? Somehow not...
      Great taste. Actually, everything that the nose promised.
      long, persistent sharpness, subtle honey sweetness, very pleasant notes of wood and smoke

7. Willum scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur