88.26/100
Strength
50 ml 700 ml
19 Aug 2017 9:22 am by Jour.Ray

Whisky Reviews for Port Charlotte 2002 MoS

15 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.26 points

1. Oogadal scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

Well, a Red Wine cask (finished??) 2002 Port Charlotte. Must say, I've doubted some time before buying this rather expensive bottle, but 5 people rating average 92 pulled me over. There's a song by Jim Diamond; I Should Have Known Better, and that's exactly what this Port Charlotte is all about. Makes me wonder about rating whisky's once again. Is it because the 92 raters never had a real 92p dram? By no means does this come even close to the pretty brilliant Blackadder 2001 Port Charlotte. Is it bad? No, it's not, but definitely not worth € 180, it would have been a ok deal for € 90. Why?? Well, 1st of all it lacks the typical Port Charlotte 'power' and peaty, oilyness that PC fans love that much. It is a rather 'thin' dram, not by ABV, but it simply lacks depth, pretty one dimensional. Makes me wonder if this is matured in a bourbon barrel and finished in a rather average red wine cask. It does have some sourness that red wine matured whisky's sometimes have, which is't a bad thing, as long as it's not overwhelming. (this isn't overwhelming)

I won't bother to describe all flavours as there aren't too many.

Save you money for something worth € 180.

2. Indianerhäuptling scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

3. DerDennis! scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

blind tasting

I think that's good too, but nothing that I would have to buy immediately as Ardbeg and Laphi Fan. By the way, I exclude at this point times daring that this is Ardbeg or Laphi. Nor Lagavulin and Bowmore. But what then? Now would be idle to enumerate the rest of Islay ... most likely reminds me of the current PC 10. I do not know.
    I would say that has not much more than 10 years and over 50% alcohol, and the barrel ... ex-bc. Since I can not find anything really fruity here, I exclude other barrel types or finishs.
      sweet, spicy, clear smoke, smoked ham, pepper, salty, roasted almonds, honey, sea breeze, iodine, malt. Very nice flavors, but not very complex for me, which of course can be due to the smoke. I always have trouble deciphering a whisky. In any case, I put this here to Islay!
    • Taste
      sweet, light spicy, pleasant campfire smoke, honey, tannins, salty, even the ham is there, herbs. Jo, I'm sure I landed on Islay. But do I know that? Somehow not...
      Great taste. Actually, everything that the nose promised.
      long, persistent sharpness, subtle honey sweetness, very pleasant notes of wood and smoke

4. Willum scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

5. stefsel111 scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

6. rpvdwel scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

7. JacobaEd scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

8. Arjo S scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

Very good Port Charlotte which doesn't need any water, but definitely not worth the € 180 it's been sold for!

9. mr.p9 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior