80.60/100
2 x Bourbon Hogsheads
Strength
02 Aug 2017 1:38 pm by lrb85

Whisky Reviews for Glen Spey 2001 CA

1 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 80.60 points

1. Lakerfield scored this whisky 75 points Expert Junior

I don't usually talk about this aspect, but this whisky is very pale for a 15 year old! Colour doesn't represent quality though, but this whisky could have used a little more influence from the cask. I don't get the typical sweet bourbon notes at all, could it have been a tired cask? All in all, the nose was the highlight of this whisky and I'm kind of let down by the palate. The finish was there, but it was gone before you knew it.
      Quite light and sweet/sour is my first impression, quickly followed by pleasant fruity notes. Peach, apple juice, sultanas, vanilla, plum, anise, coffee, glue, earth, dry grass, lavender, a whiff of smoke, oatmeal and a small savory note. Interesting nose, at first I couldn't get anything but simple fruity notes. After a few minutes, the rest came up pretty easily. I must say I got some flashbacks to my first single malt (Glenfiddich 12) with these apple juice notes. +1 for the nostalgic feel.
    • Taste
      Same as the nose, light arrival with a slight alcohol burn followed by sweet and sour notes that turn rather bitter hereafter. Cider, walnut, fudge, ginger, vanilla, hay, white wine, grapefruit, grain alcohol. The initial sweetness makes place for sour and tannic wine notes, that's not really my cup of tea. I honestly wouldn't say this was matured for 15 years.
      Rather short and not as bitter, fortunately. Peach is lingering.