- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Ian Macleod (IM)
- Bottling serie
- Stated Age
- 20 years old
- 1st Fill European Oak Oloroso Sherry Butt
- Number of bottles
- 56.7 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 09 Jul 2017 1:33 pm by Pxrider
53 × in wishlist
98 × member ratings
161 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for The Cigar Malt 1997 IM
13 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.63 points
- The first thing that grabs you about this dram is its color -- pure deep mahogany. On the nose you get the sherry cask in its pure, incredibly intense form, along with some litchi and toffee. The dram quickly develops some very spicy notes, slightly floral, like Rosenduft with a touch of vanilla. On the palate, this whisky is really explosive. It brings the perfect balance between the kick of the high alcohol content and an enormous bouquet of aromas. The sherry barrel spreads out with such an intensity that you are left fighting for a breath of air. The most amazing experience comes right after the sherry fades away -- the dram becomes full on fruit cocktail. Turkish dates, figs, dried plums, raisins, followed by a dry spicy note. The finish brings on another sherry note which nicely absorbs the spice notes. I also got a slight tobacco note, without a cigar.
- An absolute dream! The name says it all! incredibly intense and dominant leather and tobacco aroma in combination with dark dates, plums, sour cherries and nuts. In addition, an almost unprecedented aroma of gravy and wood barbecue! Unbelievable, I'm really excited!
Deep dark and creamy caramel rests auspiciously in the premium snifter, oily and syrupy "legs" adorn the glass wall, as well as an incredibly tough streak, alone makes the "Cigar Malt" my heart beat faster and faster. Whoa! Old leather and dried tobacco leaves with a big "Tamtam" on the first nosing through the nose, sour cherries and sweet plums follow with caramelized sugar and dried date, suddenly massively sets in my salivation! Wet leather dominates the marvelous nose, dark chocolate and espresso with voluminous zest of old and dried orange peel, hazelnuts and old Canadian walnuts, in the background there is a minimal smokiness and hints of eucalyptus. Associations after grandma's cough syrup shoot me in the head, velvety vineyard peach shows up. My salivation is almost unbraked, the incredible leather and tobacco flavor infatuates the senses, the dark plums, dates and sour cherries make me hungry after the first sip!
Leather, sour cherries, deep dark espresso and dark chocolate bounce mercilessly on the tongue and the taste buds at the first sip. Suddenly my salivation begins again while a pleasant wooden sharpness is supported by a pinch of black pungent pepper. Balsamic, thyme and gravy unite to an incredible bouquet, leather and tobacco end in dark chocolate and cold espresso. The meaty flavor of some is undeniable, I would rather call it a combination of juicy sirloin fried on the charcoal grill and thickened gravy in the pan. With an incredibly intense and voluminous tobacco-leather note blurring taste and aftertaste, have I mentioned that my salivation is mercilessly stimulated?
Wet leather and old dried tobacco leaves rest powerfully on the palate, a cozy warmth floods your mouth while sour cherries, dates, prunes and chocolate rest on your tongue. The aftertaste also reminds me a little of cough syrup, old walnuts are leaving my thoughts, again there are hints of menthol and eucalyptus. Spicy oak and slightly smoky elements emerge, gravy drips from the tongue again, and the finish fades away with leather and tobacco.
- Very meaty, bloody, mineral. As if one eats a delicious English fried steak and licks alternately on the grill. Also very sweet, dark ripe plums in rum
- A beautiful companion on a cold winter evening!
Hearty sherry with a pleasant sweetness caress the palate ... powerful!
- This malt was sold for 320€ at WhiskyAuction in Aug. 2018. Unfortunately, I lost the race...
- This one is quite similar to the latest G&M release. However, better balanced w/o any distracting moments.
A round package, therefore 94/100 and the G&M release receives a downgrade by 2 points.
Most likely the best sherry cask whisky i've tried so far...
2018-05-09 ... had the chance to try it again, was even better than i already had it in mind. Be it in the nose, the palate or the finish, there's not a single off-note, awesome!
If i would have had just bought a second bottle... i'll regret this for the rest of my life, or at least till the next epic chieftains bottling i'm going to miss :)
- Eigtl. I did not want to give such "designed" malts such high points anymore, but there are worlds between such a balanced, full-bodied dream here and some young casks that some UA bring out today, dream.
Great dark sherry, nothing more to say, absolute hint of match, lots of chestnuts, black walnut, pecans, dark chocolate, freshly ground coffee, great leather, dark nougat, meaty, overripe plums
Black cherry, black walnut, over-sherry, dark chocolate, coffee, dark nougat, noble leather, dates, plums, chestnut liqueur, fills the whole mouth, noble beef fillet, cinnamon, nutmeg, camphor
Tannins, leather, liquorice, beautiful oak, nuts, long to very long, nutmeg and cinnamon