- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Peated Triple Cask
- Stated Age
- 14 years old
- 1st Fill & Refill Bourbon & Oloroso Sherry
- 48.3 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- L6B 6951
- Bottled for
- Travel Retail Exclusive
- Added on
- 14 Jun 2017 6:45 pm by maltaholic
18 × in wishlist
149 × member ratings
446 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Balvenie 14-year-old
27 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.23 points
- 2 words: sharp and unbalanced. the peat week releases were really good but this sucks.....
- In the nose I find subtle smoke with sweet malt. Slight vanilla flavors and some licorice. The taste is reflected in the nose again, but it initially looks sweeter than thought. The malt and the vanilla squeeze through, followed by the peat and some alcohol. The Peated Balvenie looks slightly metallic.
In the finish he is a bit bitter ...
Balvenie does not have to hide in terms of Peat!
Surely a few years would have been better for him ...
- A nice but unexpected type of whisky for a Balvenie
Lemon, vanilla and caramel with a subtle smoke
Sweet and a bit bitter with lemon, vanilla and caramel
Medium long with vanilla and some smoke
- A bit acrid smoke, sweet and tart. Balvenie should stick to their core line, this wasn’t there best expression
Strong peat (for Balvenie) vanilla, honey, light plastic
Woody peat smoke, honey, oak, white pepper
Pepper, vanilla, honey
- Nice sweet and very peaty balvenie. I suppose it was sea peat, not highland as for Peat week. More like everyday dram
Bold sweet sea salt and iodine peatiness with some earthy rotten grass
Sweet honey and campfire smoke, plus some butterscotch
Long, sweet peat and bitter campfire smoke
- I tasted this whisky blindly.
Clearly malt on the nose and a certain sweetness. Sherry influences are recognizable and an aroma of wild honey. I also add a hint of blueberry.
I feel a strength on the tongue, even a barrel strength that turns out to be 48.3% at the resolution, I would have guessed higher. Definitely spicy, a little hazelnut, a little raisin, above all I can feel wood, oak and a slight bitterness. The wood covers the smoke, which is barely noticeable to me.
The finish leaves a persistent dry mouthfeel, long, strong and still woody and spicy.
Total package: 21
= 89 points
Conclusion: I love the Caribbean Cask at the age of 14. That Balvenie managed to peated with such force at the same age surprised me. I would have liked a little less wood and a little more smoke. Certainly not a whisky that you "dump" the whole evening. But always worth a drink to enjoy.
Mossy, sour, light-colored grapes and other light-colored fruits, light smoke, then grapefruit, orange, tangerine, a bit musty
pleasant sweetness, light acidity, smoky bacon, ashy
pleasant medium length after cocoa
- Fruity and gentle smoke.
Gentle medicinal and sweet notes,creamy vanilla,honey,ripe fruits,cinnamon.Butterscotch and a little ginger spicy,a little leathery.
Smoky,mellow and juicy,spicy,sweet honey and a little oily.
Long and spicy,sweet and smoky. A little dry,slightly bitter and minty.
soft smoke, vanilla, mandarin, wood, banana, mocha pastry, smoky
creamy, slightly tart, spicy, honey, cinnamon, salt caramel, coffee, peat, salt, mandarin