- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Peated Triple Cask
- Stated Age
- 14 years old
- 1st Fill & Refill Bourbon & Oloroso Sherry
- 48.3 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- L6B 6951
- Bottled for
- Travel Retail Exclusive
- Added on
- 14 Jun 2017 6:45 pm by maltaholic
20 × in wishlist
140 × member ratings
420 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Balvenie 14-year-old
22 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 82.84 points
- 2 words: sharp and unbalanced. the peat week releases were really good but this sucks.....
- In the nose I find subtle smoke with sweet malt. Slight vanilla flavors and some licorice. The taste is reflected in the nose again, but it initially looks sweeter than thought. The malt and the vanilla squeeze through, followed by the peat and some alcohol. The Peated Balvenie looks slightly metallic.
In the finish he is a bit bitter ...
Balvenie does not have to hide in terms of Peat!
Surely a few years would have been better for him ...
- Fruity and gentle smoke.
Gentle medicinal and sweet notes,honey,ripe fruits,cinnamon.Butterscotch and a little ginger spicy,a little leathery.
Smoky,mellow and juicy,spicy,sweet honey and a little oily.
Long and spicy,sweet and smoky. A little bitter and minty.
soft smoke, vanilla, mandarin, wood, banana, mocha pastry, smoky
creamy, slightly tart, spicy, honey, cinnamon, salt caramel, coffee, peat, salt, mandarin
- This was better than I expected. Lots of nice delicate oak on the palate, plenty of lovely pastry notes mixed with very clean smoke. I like the earthier, more oak-forward turn on the development. I wish it had a bit of a thicker texture, and, though it has decent length, the finish could have a bit more meat to it. Still, a very solid choice in a travel-retail market that’s becoming increasingly crowded with watered-down, generic expressions.
Nose: Quite sweet and mildly smoky. Lots of nougat, chocolate covered toffee, various sugar-dusted pastries, and candied nuts. The smoke is soft and gentle, with black pepper and some dried herbs. Very sweet malted barley and caramel. The fruit is buried deep: vanilla-poached pears, nectarines, dried cranberries, and banana. Some fragrant beeswax and rose as well.
Palate: Medium-light texture. Orchard fruit and pineapple up front, along with toffee and beeswax. Sweet, honeyed smoke on the development, as things turn slightly more savoury and oak-forward. The smoke is more intense here than on the nose. There’s soft oak and leather, slight clove, and nutty malted barley. Chocolate mint, tiramisu, and plenty of honey-sweetened English Breakfast tea towards the back.
Finish: Still sweet, but smokier. Chocolatey smoke and soft oak. A bit of cola, a bit more cinnamon, marshmallow, and nutmeg. Campfire and cast iron. Distant ginger, mint, and dried herbs. Maple forest in autumn.
- this is more important to me ...
smoke, yes, what is underneath? the smoke masks the rest. citrus? vanilla? bourbon?
peat, balance, bourbon, sweetie, I like it
smoke, nice finish