Macduff 1978 CA

Strength
50 ml 700 ml 750 ml
12 jun 2017 1:09 pm by hs305

Whisky reviews for Macduff 1978 CA

4 users have left 4 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 83.33 points.

1. ConvalRen scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

A little bit odd but nothing like hs305's comments. Plastic and burnt tires, with plenty of boiling coal-fired elderflower water.

2. Kalleholzbein scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

I was really scared to try it after seeing reviews and comments.

I'm probably not making friends now, but I think it's not bad;) only the finish does not convince me quite so, but for me no bad whisky, even if I understand what may bother one or the other.

Sorry Dirk: D

3. MikerG2k scored this whisky 69 points Connoisseur

• Taste

[July, 2017]  ...continuing my CGBP-project (The "Cadenhead Green Bottle Period" lasted from late-1990 until mid-1998 and is characterised by its small size white labels).  I bought this bottle for 65 Euro in July, 2004.

The colour is yellow gold and the texture shows very late but fast legs and some sticky tears.  The nose is extremely shy and closed even for 55,8% abv.  Some grassy and herbal aromas after quite a while of breathing together with some unpleasant plastic notes.  The mouthfeel is hot, not coating at all and strangely drying (plastic).  I had this with another seventies Macduff before (WB id 58969) and it completely ruined my taste buds for that day.  Hopefully this is different.  The taste is sweet and again … extremely plastic.  Booaah, I hate this!  Same with the finish that is short what is an asset in this case.  A fair share of water turns the whole dram even more plastic and corky/cardboardy - so this is another plastic rubbish, I refuse to call this a whisky!!!

I tasted this with a good friend who is very experienced in whisky too and he fully confirms my bad impressions.  So what the hell did they do at Macduff back in the seventies that completely different vintages (1974/1978) and IBs (Hart Bros/Cadenhead) both have this disgusting profile?  I placed mid-seventies Macduff bottlings on my black list of unwanted drams...

PS:  My taste buds are corrupted again but not as bad as with the 1974 Hart Bros.  Anyone out there that dares to try a free sample of this?  Simply leave me a mail...

If you want to do that test I suggest to pour a dram that you know very well first and have a sip of it to remember its taste. Then try this Macduff (it is not poisonous, so be brave!) as long as you want. After that sip at the first dram (you know very well) again to see how much your taste buds are corrupted. It takes about a day to restore them to their full potential again.

KVK: 60207205