Bunnahabhain 14-year-old

First Fill Oloroso Sherry Cask
Strength
12 Jun 2017 8:27 am by maltaholic

Whisky Reviews for Bunnahabhain 14-year-old

7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.73 points

[September, 2019] I bought a small bottle of this fine cask (after tasting it in warehouse 9) both in June, 2015 (12-years old) and May, 2017 (this 14-years old) and I guess a cask of this quality will not survive two years anymore these days, so if you find an excellent hand-fill on Islay go for it on the spot...

...like this one. It is a fine and flawless modern sherry maturation (no sulphur) that is easy drinkable (when reduced) but I suggest to explore and try it neat first. But if my memory serves me will I liked the 12-years old bottling out of the same cask even better - I have to check this certainly when I open the 12-years old bottle (versus a saved sample of this).
      The colour is very dark for a 14-years old at mahogany and the nose offers an impressive modern sherry profile with all the fine oloroso notes one can imagine. The Bunna malt is somewhat buried under this heavy sherry impact but after some breathing (more than 15 minutes) it manages to occupy a small corner of the nosing stage, finally. But the European oak (herbs) and sherry stays completely in the drivers seat which is not problematic as long as it is that delicious...
    • Taste
      The taste is impressive on bold oloroso sherry flavours, spicy-herbal wooden notes and sweet barley sugars. Here the Bunna malt manages to hold a more upfront position which I really appreciate (so it stays a whisky and is not just fortified sherry wine). This is a quite complex taste for a 14-years old including notes of shy peat, dunnage warehouse and dried fruits - but it is not layered, unfortunately. Nonetheless, dangerously quaffable...
      The dram arrives a little hot (59.9% abv) and instantly coating on the palate without distracting moments. The finish is very long and adds some nice dark chocolate flavours with a minor bitter-drying touch (tannins). I have to check the 12-years old if this happened during the last two years only (what I expect, because I do not remember such moments from my 2015 visit). Water smoothes both nose and taste and turns the dram more easily drinkable, I like to explore this whisky neat and prefer to drink it reduced at about 48% abv.

2. Kalleholzbein scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

3. ARDBERG scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

sample.

4. Dominique69 scored this whisky 91 points Moderator

5. P.A.O.K.you_are scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

6. spigray scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

7. spigray scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

what a great dram. I was stupid enough not to buy me a bottle when I was there.
    91/100
      what a blast of sherry! black sultanas from greece, prunes, blackcurrants, damp earth, tobacco, leather and I´m finding quite some peat in there, perhaps I´m mistaken. smells like a dirty old dunnage warehouse.
    • Taste
      cannot believe this is only 14 yo. everything from the nosing and there´s definetely quite some peat in it, almost a little medicinal. sour and slightly bitter, dirty and sexy.
      long, slightly sour