Laphroaig Cairdeas

Feis Ile
30 may 2017 6:02 pm by The flying Scot
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Laphroaig Cairdeas

91 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.80 points

1. Tommyknocker scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

I do not know what the sissis have here. Burning iodine tincture poured over cotton candy, brine with furztrockenem white wine diluted to. Simply the full Laphipower, young and unadulterated. Please do not take this whisky too seriously, but who likes the Quarter Cask will understand what I mean. Delicious!

2. Caoldronach scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

I honestly can not understand the bad reviews here. I think the stuff is good and tasty. Young and not very complex, but still interesting. Yesterday I got a broken bottle from a bottle division for tasting and was biased before the first tasting because of the rating here only negative. With the tasting then came the all clear. Much better than feared! Quite different from the earlier Cairdeas and interestingly also quite different from the normal Quarter Cask. While I do not consider the Cairdeas 2017 a high-flyer, I think it's worth a meager 84 points. Especially in comparison with other whiskys, which enter significantly more points on this portal. I made a repeated comparison with the standard Laphroaig Quarter Cask OB 48 Vol.% (Filling 2016), the Laphroaig 12 yo Highgrove Cask # 3009 and the Elements of Islay Lg5 (yes, the Lg5 is not a Laphroaig, it's clear, nonetheless the comparison after the first tasting of the Cairdeas in 2017 came to a head). In a nutshell, I think the highgrove is better, because it is more complex, with more fruit flavors, more filigree and more complex. The Cairdeas 2017 seems to me less complex and has undiluted more superficial alcohol than the Highgrove, but the Cairdeas but has more of the Laphroaig-typical peat-iodine character, the flavor is very nicely subtle highlighted. Incidentally, the Cairdeas 2017 is a bit similar to the Cairdeas 2014, which I also tasted in comparison (the new Cairdeas is still very different from the previous Cairdeas, but also good). I think that the standard quartercask (as much as I like it, especially as it is an absolute value for money high-flyer with about 30 €) is qualitatively inferior to the Cairdeas 2017 (which is supposed to be the QC Cask Strength). Especially if you dilute the Cairdeas to 48 Vol.%, A direct comparison is quite possible. The Cairdeas seems to me more subtle, fleet-footed and with more typical iodine flavors of the fresh-fruity nature of the compared rather clumsy-looking standard QC (I must say, the comparison was made with the 2016 QC with the modern label, the older with the old label was, in my memory, also better than the new standard QC). The Lg5 can not deny his Lagavulin distillery profile (he should not even ;-)) and is therefore only partially comparable, but also belongs to the "clean transparent Peat Group". The Lg5 I find excellent, but not better by 4 points, as the reviews suggest here on Whiskybase.com. I have to say honestly, sometimes I do not understand the reviews here. Otherwise, they will fit very often again and for me Whiskybase.com is actually a good gauge against the sample vial or the first test bottle. But sometimes strange results come out (at least I think that's my 2 cents ...).

3. Caoldronach scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

New Update (as of 4th of August, 2017), (BTW 90/100 instead of 88/100, formerly):Head-to-head comparison with the CS#009 (I received the CS today), the ABV is nearly the same, so why not comparing both neat, albeit obviously having such a different character? But the retrospect may have proved me right (at least out of my very personal perspective).

The maybe quite astonishing (personal) result:The Cairdeas is excellent, and maybe more than that: it is absolutely not worse than the CS 009 (maybe even better??!).

I must admit, as I love the Laphroaig 10 y.o. Cask Strength so much, I was only keen on the CS and thus consequentially neglected to order enough Cairdeas. For my belief (without knowing it) the Cairdeas was only kind of an adjunct one had to order to get the CS 009. But the comparing tasting session from tonight taught me being wrong.

The Cask Strength (CS009) is excellent, no doubt, but it is of a quite strong and kind of warm sweet compactness, while the Cairdeas 2017 is not that sweet (other kind of sweetness, i.e. no "warm" kind of sweetness which you typically get from ex-Sherry- or ex-Bourbon-Casks) instead it is quite austere, dry, fresh, "transparent", with lovely Laphroaigian notes of austere peated and iodine "quasi-fruit", that typical "Laphroaginish in its naked form" (if you know what I mean. I know, this is quite difficult to explain and to describe in words).

After all, I think that even the price tag is alright. I had first been bashing the too high price. The price/performance ratio of the CS009 is so extremely good and better of course. But compared with other Islay whiskies and Laphies in the market, I think the price for the Cairdeas is absolutely OK.

It seems that I have to re-order it (fortunately the Cairdeas is still available, while the CS is aleady sold out).#########################################Old note from before:

I made a head-to-head comparison with Laphroaig Standard Quarter Cask (bought in 2016, new label, https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/42887/laphroaig-quarter-cask ) and with Ardbeg Ten (bought in January 2014, https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/306/ardbeg-ten ).

Here is my personal ranking:

1. Laphroaig Cairdeas 2017, 88/100 (revised on 4th of August, 2017: 90/100)

2. Ardbeg Ten, 88-/100

3. Laphroaig Quarter Cask (2016), 86/100

The Cairdeas 2017 exhibits a very tasty clean peaty profile, very fresh, light and fruity, and partly sweet. A nice peaty summer dram with an underlying typical Laphroaig layer. Very nice, very quaffable!

The Ardbeg Ten is less sweet, less fruity, less fresh. But also an excellent peated dram. Of course, as everyone knows ;-). Different, but same quality (I ranked it slightly lower than the Cairdeas). However: The price is more than different ...

I perceive the standard Laphroaig Quarter Cask (48% ABV) to being more dump, more simple, more of a compact brute than the fresh lightweight Cairdeas 2017. Even when I dilute the Cairdeas to 48% ABV, the impression remains (the perceived difference in quality does not origin from the difference in ABV). The Cairdeas does "swim" very well, BTW, the addition of water is recommended. With respect to overall quality, the Cairdeas outperforms the standard Quarter Cask, this is at least my personal opinion. This hypothesizes that Laphroaig might have used better casks for this "QC Cairdeas" than for the mass market product, the standard Quarter Cask. Maybe the same practice as obviously applied for the excellent 10 years old Cask Strength, compared to the 10 y.o. (40%ABV) standard.

By the way, I remember that the Quarter Cask (48% ABV) with the old label from some years ago seemed to be of better quality than the current release. I loved that old one very much. The new one seems to be more compact, more "modern", more simple (maybe, I'm wrong as it is only in my memory).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The general ranking of the three above mentioned whiskies - here at Whiskybase.com - is as follows (1st of August, 2017):

3. Laphroaig Cairdeas 2017, 84.10/100

1. Ardbeg Ten, 86.40/100

2. Laphroaig Quarter Cask (2016), 85.05/100

What is suprising for me is that the Laphroaig Cairdeas is rated lower than the standard Quarter Cask (with the new label). Seems quite strange to me.

OK, the price ...

Together with international shipping costs from UK this is too high for my feeling. However, look at the high prices of many IB's, today. This maybe relativizes the price (of course if one compares it with the price/performance ratios of an Ardbeg Ten, a Laphroaig QC or especially a Laphroaig 10 y.o. Cask Strength, then it looks different).

P.S.: I used "presentation=96" in order to compensate for the "price tag" as I wanted to adjust the overall rating to be influenced by taste and nose, only, but not by price or presentation.

4. didi1893 scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

After the fancy and special finishes of the last Cairdeas bottlings, I am actually disappointed with this finish. Sure, this year's Cairdeas offers all that I expect from a Laphi, but in my eyes it's nothing special. A typical Laphroaig just, no more and no less.
      Immediately mineral peat aroma rises from the glass. A subtle smoky note joins and becomes more intense and more phenolic over time. Iodine and a hint of salt exude this typical Laphroaigaroma, slowly spicy wood elements come to light. Subtle fruit flavors such as oranges and citrus fruit fight through the cold smoke and the dominant peat. Mineral, peaty, cold smoke and iodine, some fruit and wood, more I do not expect of a Laphi.
    • Taste
      Spicy wood and soft peat dominate briefly, then cold and sharp smoke in the mouth explodes. Powerful and powerful, these aromas hit the palate and make the entire mouth glow. Peppery sharpness lays over the tongue, it tingles and bizzles on the tip of the tongue. Ash and extinguished coal pieces show up shortly before earthy clay and subtly fruity peat mix with spicy and dry wood elements. Again comes iodine and a pinch of salt to light. Gradually, only the spicy and creamy wood tones dominate.
      Dry wood and a cold cloud of smoke start the finish. Slowly the ashes and the burned wood come back. Fruity echoes appear for a moment, then dominate only the pleasant cold smoke, loamy peat and spicy wood. These aromas stick to the palate for a long time, leaving a cozy warmth.

[June, 2017]  I had this dram during a Feis Ile tasting at Bonn.

This is a very young, immature and sometimes nice, sometimes diabolic whisky - exactly my definition of a paedophilic dram...
      The colour is pale straw and the texture shows many fast legs and small tears that later get bigger. The nose is mighty malty and just a little phenolic, I would call this immature. And there is a minor astringent feeling in the nose (I know this sounds really strange, but it is as it is...).
    • Taste
      The taste is malty sweet, phenolic and very peppery from new woods, again it is a little immature. With water the whole dram improves a lot: the nose shows some additional herbal aromas, the mouthfeel gets smoother, the taste is sweeter (but still somewhat immature) and the finish is not that bitter and drying. I scored this whisky 2 points lower when neat (e.g., just 81 on the finish).
      The mouthfeel is very hot and again slightly astringent (cold ashes, metallic). The finish is quite long but gets bitter and drying from heavy tannins.

6. malthead-1984 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

No finishes no 5 different barrels or other experiments. An honest, good and solid Laphi with a lot of Brennereicharakter. I really like it!
      directly typical phenolic Laphi smoke, the 57% are not felt at all and beautifully integrated. In addition, a great iodine-rubber note reminds me somehow of Springbank. I can find fruit notes apart from a hinted rassberrie which probably comes from the sweet gum, but I still like the nose very well. from the nose I would have estimated at 40%
    • Taste
      on the tongue you can feel the slight sweet-salty biting on the tongue but still not intrusive. the flavors from the nose are also on the tongue at first, then it changes into tenderly bitter oak flavors. the second sip makes it a bit saltier.
      The finish very nicely fills the entire mouth, is medium in length and slightly dry. with iodine and salted seaweed. Above all are the wood flavors

7. galg33 scored this whisky 83 points Member Senior

Nose: Starts quite sweet and creamy, with Scottish Tablet, caramel , vanilla fudge, and some white pepper to balance it. There’s also a nice salty Caramel touch, with the Laphraoig smokiness. charcoal, and maybe tar, but don’t expect a lot of medicinal touches on this one.. It’s quite mild peat wise , but still packs enough peatiness.

Palate: Good mouthful all in all on this one, with an initial peppery attack, moving to old style caramel candy , vanilla fudge, sweet smoke, salt and maybe a bit of sea spray , tar and soot, and quite a bit of warm wood smoke.

Finish: Sweet smoke, toasted oak, pepper, and more Tablet.

8. Mannix65 scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

young typical Laphi - needs some water
      initially very alcoholic, then phenolic smoke, green apples, white chocolate and marzipan, Turkish honey, butter biscuits
    • Taste
      Iodine ointment, medicinal smoke in sweet cough syrup, maple syrup, sugar sweetener - it becomes drier with water
      long, smoky, sweet and dry

9. Mannix65 scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

• Taste

[November, 2017]  I had this dram during a community tasting "Clash of the Celts" with 5 pairs of Irish vs. Scotch whisk(e)y.  This Cairdeas was paired with the most recent Connemara (bought in 2017) https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/99446/connemara-original.  Out of 32 attendees 11 voted in favour of the Connemara and 12 in favour of the Laphroaig (9 voted for a draw).

As mainly the german voters here on WB rather score this Laphroaig pretty high I do another detailed review (I am German by myself so I understand their comments - dear Tommyknocker:  Let us share a dram and I will show you I am not a "Sissi"!).

The colour is still pale straw and the texture shows fast legs and later tears (by the way, this is not the texture of a great whisky as the oiliness is rather thin).  The nose with very punchy on immature medicinal notes (hospital waste bin) and immature barley sugars but I have to confess it is impressive.  If you like a punch in your face then this dram is right for you.  As I am older now I rather like a harmonic setting...  Nevertheless I score the nose higher than the first time for its raw power.  The initial mouthfeel is not nice at all:  biting, hot and adstringent - all feelings I do not like.  But again, it is a punch in your mouth that obviously many Germans like (you guess what I like more, now - don't you?)...

The taste is just two-dimensional on malty and phenolic flavours that fight each other into the long and bitter finish, finally the whole dram dies drying out.  Water improves the dram but it gets a run-of-the-mill that way...

Call me a "Sissi" or whatever you like but this is not my kind of whisky:  To me this is a designed, gimmickry dram that tries to impress without substance.  But Laphroaig hardcore fans surely will love this and this is absolutely okay with me - you can have all of this stuff, I will not compete with you buying these bottles...

11. malthead-1984 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

12. HammerHead scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

Not bad, but a bit one dimensional. Not much age on this as well, I presume. As a burst of peaty charred pepperiness it does it's job though. Prices over €100 for this are ridiculous, the value of what's inside the bottle is closer to €50.
      A dry phenolic smokiness with some earthy peat though not necessarily as much as expected for a 57% abv Laphroaig. Lemon and slightly sweet citrus, porridge, some salinity, a mild mustard note, white pepper and quite some dusty wood.
    • Taste
      Oily mouthfeel, smoke and dry peat, medicinal, the alcohol shows, quite peppery, more citrus, lemon, sweet orange and some faint grapefruit, with time more and more bitter charcoal in the mouth.
      Long: a short burst of lemony citrus, some liquorice, then long lasting pepperiness and dry notes of charcoal and ashes.

13. g00se scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

Laphroaig Stammtisch Dram # 2
    It takes time and a little splash of water to fully develop. It develops tremendously, especially in the nose.
      Very closed at first. Cool and really only a slight trail of smoke. With a little time and hand warmth, vanilla and wood aromas rise from the Glencairn. Then something lemony and clearly phenolic smoke.
      Oh, it takes time: Now come burnt mountain herbs, a sweet spice. In the empty glass there is a smell of anise seeds.
    • Taste
      Here, too, a very mild start. Creamy mouthfeel. Otherwise very restrained, a bit of oak.
      With time and water then it becomes much wider: sweet, vanilla, a little bit of herbs. White pepper. Then smoke flashes briefly, but it is replaced by a very strong oak spice. I can't take it any longer ...
      Great finish.
      First Laphi Rauch, then spice, then sweetness and all over again.

14. Querky scored this whisky 89 points Expert Junior

Nice, it must be said. I emptied a bottle of the standard Quarter Cask some time ago and actually liked it. Nothing overly complex, but robust and quaffable. Sure, the maturation in quarter casks does have a simple reason: compared to standard barrels the spirit gets more flavour in a shorter maturation period thanks to the quarter casks' surface-volume-ratio (but isn't more mature). Meaning Beam Suntory are getting earlier yields while we are getting a younger, feisty whisky (which isn't a bad thing in this case, but must not be forgotten, especially in terms of pricing).
    Though the 10 year old (especially the cask strength edition!) remains my favourite, this cask strength edition of the Quarter Cask from the Cairdeas range is a real treat, but in my opinion the price is a tad too steep.
      Iodine, slightly bitter smoke and sweet grains are the first impressions, followed by vanilla, green apples, and heather. Spent bonfire. The alcohol prickles on the nose, but isn't pungent at all. After a while there's samphire, leading into light notes of frankincense.
    • Taste
      Very sweet and intense, no burning despite cask strength, oily mouthfeel. Typical slightly dry Laphroaig-smoke with iodine, sweet apples, caramel and honey, juicy fruit bubblegum. Soft oaky spiciness, no bitterness at all thanks to the wood type (-> Quercus alba).
      Very nice and smoky long finish with iodine and mocha. Apple juice and heather honey keep lingering in my mouth, only outlasted by the lovely smoke of Laphroaig.

15. lachaineduwhisky did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Buttered malt, fine smoke. The pepper that goes up. Everything grows while remaining quite austere despite a noticeable note of vanilla. With a little water, rounder with herbs, oregano ...
    • Taste
      Clearly on the ground of Lap QC, but in raw version of barrel. Marked by spices, it remains soft. It's even more blatant with water, very sweet and fragrant.
      Very mellow, on liquorice, coffee, leather, smoke, pepper. With water, spices are more diverse and softer.

Enthusiasm
      Nose & Mouth 3/5
      Final 4/5

Whisky n ° 1824

16. Rom scored this whisky 88 points Expert Junior

It is a common place to treat medicinal Laphroaig peat but there is really the hospital bandage under the nose! A farmer side accompanies this sensation as well as cold ash and eugenols (dentist like).
    Very thick texture, in the mouth the medicinal side literally squashes everything else, even if you smell sugar.
    Long finale on ... medicinal peat.
    Concentrated Laphroaig, close to 10 CS but more monolithic.

17. whiskyinstitut scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

I really find the 2017 Cairdeas undervalued.
      Slightly medicated and typical phenolic smoke, lemon juice, white pepper, maritime, very subtle grapefruit note, vanilla and popcorn will eventually come through
    • Taste
      Powerful onset, medicinal smoke, again peppery, very intense citrus notes, effervescent powder, very pleasant mouthfeel, no dryness, no metallic notes,
      Pleasant oak notes, sweet citrus notes, the phenolic notes cling to the palate

18. ARDBERG scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

this Cairdeas desperately needs air. half way down the bottle the hate turns to love and jacks the rating up by 2 points for now.

19. Dieter_W scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

A Lapfi who splits. Some were disappointed Can you understand? Comes very young over the tongue, but the liquor holds back luckily. I have the Ard. Kelpie 46% opposed. The Kelpie is spicier, fuller and more complex than the Laphi. An honest Laphi, with a nice Brennereicharakter, but nothing to buy
      Mandarins, gooseberry vanilla - smoke
    • Taste
      smoked bacon strips - honeydew melon - tangerines Overall, very fruity
      Not very complex, looks very young
      rather short

20. rottendon scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

I am generally not a big Quarter Cask friend, I prefer a glass of the normal 10-year-old in the glass, than the Quarter Cask. So when I say that's really good for a Quarter Cask, that's a real compliment! I really like that, even though he can not even touch the just tasted CS # 009. The problem for me is that the Quarter Casks are so young and you can tell that too. On the other hand, this is a strong straight-ahead paint, what he does, he does quite well. Little flavors, but full in the face. If you like the Quarter Cask you have to like this one. The best comparable Cairdeas is probably the one from 2015, but I liked it much better. He was at least honest, and with the 100% own malt and the exclusively used Maker's Mark barrels for my taste a lot more honest!
      Compared to the CS # 009 first totally flat and thin, while he has actually tried flavors, slightly phenolic smoke, an idea caramel and something dark malty, but does not succeed. A touch of menthol cools the nose. After a while, it becomes quite herbaceous, before it opens properly, apricots and pears with vanilla sauce, iodine, a little stale white wine and some stone dust. Does not really warm any change, a bit darker and more intense perhaps, the alcohol tickles now clearly in the nose. Late comes still wood smoke.
    • Taste
      Soft in the start, the power delivery comes delayed, but then the more powerful, but with white pepper, but surprisingly little in relation to strength, it is more the bite of young alcohol. On the flavors side is not much, dark and malty sweetness, not oak, but something 'young' bitterness. Of course, the smoke is also present and also has a clear phenolic effect. The mouthfeel is quite oily, although not as in the CS.
      Warms up for a long time and stuns the oral cavity quite neatly. He dries off massively and is already quite clear herb. The finish is relatively long, but still far away from the CS. In the end, slightly sour-sweet ash remains on the tongue.

21. Archer scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Laphroaig says that many would have liked a quarter cask in cask strength. Yes, yes, the famous unknown mass. The normal Quarter Cask I no longer had in the glass longer, but I remember much more characterful and substantial remembered as the Cairdeas '17 here.

A big favor the Laphroaig people did not do with this Cairdeas. A young smoker, less complex in the nose, quickly away from the tongue, relatively short finish. No complete cleaning, but that has already done Laphroaig better.

Update after 2/3 of the bottle: it wins a lot. Still looking young, but that does not spoil the taste. If you know it and get involved: delicious.
      First of all there is relatively little, which is reminiscent of the classic Laphroaig notes. A little bit of smoke, a little bit of ash, a little sweetness of a fresh orange. As bright as he is, he smells "watery".

Smelly rubber comes with the time, rotten fish tickles in the nose, but the smoke has evaporated quickly.
    • Taste
      Fruity-smoky on the go, much milder than you can expect at 57.2%. The focus is initially on light fruits until salty licorice, pepper and seaweed come. The Quarter Cask provides him with a dash of oak flavor. He quickly gets dry, the fruit sweetness takes a back seat and leaves cold campfire smoke, bacon cubes and pepper.
      Medium to short (!). It is quickly gone, or the flavor spectrum of the palate is not maintained long, but rather fast is only cold ash and salt left.

22. chrizthewiz scored this whisky 86 points Expert Junior

"Laphroaig Cairdeas - The 504 Edition"

23. fallinwhisky scored this whisky 85 points Newbie

24. SebStar scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

25. Whiskywiseguy scored this whisky 88 points Expert Junior

Medical peat smoke, oak
    • Taste
      Caramel, fruit
      Banana, papaya

26. Goethe scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

The Laphroaig Cairdeas 2017 is in my opinion the first one to skip since 2008. Kind of harsh, spicy and unbalanced. Why Laphroaig, why?
    Concerning price/performance ratio: 4/10
      Smoke, salt, minerals, some tar, grass, some tcp.
    • Taste
      Young, dry, spicy. Salt, citrus, spicy pepper, some spices.
      Medium. Peat, some refillish oak charakter (sure, they say it is first-fill).

27. dram-drinker scored this whisky 87 points Photo Moderator

Punchy and peaty with plenty of vanilla - young and not too complex
      Lemon, honey, plenty of vanilla, some peat and smoke, some herbs, some black tea, tobacco, some medicinal notes
    • Taste
      Punchy, oily, creamy, good sweetness, peaty, smoky, vanilla, honey, spices, herbs, seaweed, tobacco, black tea
      Long, warm, peaty, smoky, vanilla, more punchy, fruit juice, more herbal

28. Baanaanaabob scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

Quite green, medicinal peat almost chemical, vanilla, band aid, found it quite pleasant to drink.

29. Ficelli scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

30. glenrob scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

31. The_Osprey scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

Laphroaig Cairdeas Quarter Cask 57.2%. Consumed Jan 2020. Aroma is beautiful fudgey caramelly toffee - pleasant but no smoke - it's all oak, ex-bourbon cask. Taste is oily fudgey oaky, slightly over-oaked, as is the risk with this concept, but not in a bad way. Quite floral, much of the smoke has gone which isn't the case in the standard version of Quarter Cask. Like a salty complex bourbon. I like it but yes it's slightly too oaky for me. 3.65/87

32. Monte Gehro scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

Where's the Laphi Smoke? Light smoke, combined with gauze bandage, iodine, a lot of vanilla, cake batter, alcohol very well integrated. Water helps, the smoke looks more sedate, like in older Laphroaig bottlings.
    • Taste
      Sweet start, honey, caramel, smoke develops in the mouth, becomes medicinal, over time the alcohol presses on the tongue, white pepper, a bit "doughy". With the addition of water it becomes significantly stronger, it becomes creamier and fuller.
      Medium to long, warm, somewhat peppery, medicinal smoke and malty sweetness.

33. bvrsky scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

34. JNuyts scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

35. Cipidos scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

36. Issie did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

medium-strong cold smoke, lemon candy, hay, cereals, fresh bread, a few herbs, slightly maritime, vanilla, tangerines from the can, oranges, yellow fruits, with a little warmth also brown sugar and fruit salad
    • Taste
      Honey, caramel, light grapes, apricot, orange, herb candy without sugar, some lemon, some grapefruit, some wood, ash on the back and some pepper

37. Othorion scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

creamy, subtle smoke, iodine, herbs, oranges, gauze bandage, malty, vanilla pods, a hint of menthol
    • Taste
      full-bodied, salty-sweet, cold ash, caramel, dry, allspice, with oranges and herb drops
      getting dry, more ash and caramel, plus grapefruits, black pepper and herb drops

38. MickMatrix scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

39. GLEN MAUR scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

40. vlad78 scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Sweet, smoky, fruity, but a little sharp drink.
      First, the alcohol hits the nose, then the aromas of lime, melon and apricot float on the smoke. Dried apricot, light minerality.
    • Taste
      The taste is sweet, filled with smoke and all the fruits mentioned above.
      The aftertaste is sweet, smoky, calm.

41. Teresa scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

42. gossm01 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

It has an oily viscosity and its bouquet is of relatively strong intensity. I have aromas of ashy smoke, marine notes, citrus, vanilla and ripe banana. Not very complex. Relatively dry in taste. He has clearly noticeable alcohol and a relatively heavy body.

43. Alfredadalbert1 scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

If you like the «normal» quarter cask ... you have to love this bottling. That's how i feel

44. Sidney87 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

45. Sidney87 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

46. WhiskyMonster scored this whisky 75 points Member Senior

Easiest to discuss where these deviates from a typical Laphroaig, it's fruitier on the nose with a deeper, earthier body and slightly more complexity on the finish, including the presence of burnt aniseed notes. Otherwise its very much in the same stable as the 10, QC etc, so if you like those you can't go too far wrong.

47. Archer scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

48. Andytka3 scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

N- Grapefruit candy with roasted oily cashew coating. Grape-y, raspberries with smoked fruity heats, then sooty, nose choking pounded pepper, iodine, gel pine and ended with more grapefruit tangy-ness. Warm oatmeal, paper ashes, musky wood and heavily salted sichuan mustard plant. (91/22)

P- Love the integration of wood and salt, liquorice and peat, as well the bitter white chocolate. Creamy yet dry, mouthwatering strength at the same time gentle at heart, finely balance with a tinge of herb-y peat, burnt tobacco and ginger extraction. (93/23)

F- Long, elegant, spicy dry, chewy and quite powerful. (91/22)

B/B- 93/23

Cr- 2, Fr- 3, Fl- 1, Pt- 4, Ft- 1, Sp- 1, Wd-4, Wn-1, Sc-2

Weighted Rate- 90pt
    • Taste
      F- Long, elegant, spicy dry, chewy and quite powerful. (91/22)

B/B- 93/23

Cr- 2, Fr- 3, Fl- 1, Pt- 4, Ft- 1, Sp- 1, Wd-4, Wn-1, Sc-2

Weighted Rate- 90pt

49. Sleinn nam Ffoh scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

50. Jean-Claude Van Dram scored this whisky 86 points Member Junior

On the nose: peat, cold smoke, cereal and bread, salt, sand, mercurochrome. Opens on fruit, quince, grapefruit and some flowers. A malabar?

In the mouth: peat and cold ashes, a little sugar, lime, something metallic, liquorice and menthol.

51. Dris scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

52. ctu scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Not bad, but not an outstanding Laphroaig. 85/86.
      Salted minerals, milk, citruses, malt, camphor and touch of spicy oak.
    • Taste
      Bittersweet. Citruses, pepper, vanilla, sawdust, salted caramel and smoke.
      Medium length, dry, smoky.

53. Ed Radour scored this whisky 86 points Specialist

54. Fight65 scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

55. Georges scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

56. Georges scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

first-fill bourbon, finished in American oak quarter-casks
      Peat smoke, coastal notes, salty, tarry, sweet beef jerky, coconut, spicy (nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper), menthol cigarettes
    • Taste
      Peat smoke, salty, iodine, seaweed, vanilla, toffee, mint
      Long, smoky, salty, spicy, sweet, dry

57. goodspell scored this whisky 85 points Expert Junior

58. malthead-sven scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

you can only compare what is comparable and in the series of recent Cairdeas bottlings of the 2017er falls significantly from, because he is noticeably too young.
      very pleasant and delicious smoke paired with pine needles, with typical Laphi notes of tar and hospital, nothing more and nothing less
    • Taste
      aggressive and stormy, then youthful tinny
      short to medium long and now with a slight sweetness

59. Muff Potter scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

60. GIORGOS scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

61. Dhugal MacArdry scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

62. aphex scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

A very good Laphroaig. But I still prefer the 10 yo Cask Strength.
      Peat smoke, light medicinal notes, ashes and coastal notes. Aeration brings more tarry notes.
    • Taste
      Earthy and ashy peat, iodine, brine and mint. All that with a creamy texture.
      Long, drying, smoky and ashy.

63. OAOAOAOA scored this whisky 97 points Newbie

Great and strong stuff! Very much Laphroaig. Not only strong, also fresh and with fruit, moreover complex (yes, +/-6 years, only, but seems to be complex in a certain way. At least very much of multiple-property charater!!!). Much better than the other Cairdeas from 2017, the 15 yo Cairdeas. Really.

64. Pulliworm scored this whisky 99 points Member Senior

WOW!!!! My best Laphroaig ever!!! Until now. What is still to come?
    Forget about all the standard Laphroaig whisky. Forget about the 10 yo, the Select, the Four Cask. All is nothing against this great stuff, Cairdeas QC CS (2017), WOW!

65. Ulfswhiskysamling scored this whisky 76 points Expert Junior

Phenolic, peaty, vanilla, oak
    • Taste
      Peppery, spicy, heat, tobacco and coffee, tar and wood smoke
      Medium long, smoke, toasted oak,

66. Ulfswhiskysamling scored this whisky 76 points Expert Junior

67. MadScientist scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

68. nhuber scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

liked it from the very beginning, you can argue about price/value, but cant´complain when it is in the glass: sweet medicinal smoke in the nose, easy smoky palate, takes water well and opens up further... good stuff

69. Achany scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

Wohoo ... that is a nice first sip! Powerful, seaweed, peat, salt, nice. It Takes some time until the sweetness comes forward, sweet citrus, ginger, white grapes, some sour candy. Finish long lasting, peaty. What a nice dram!

70. Hlektrion scored this whisky 82 points Expert Senior

If you're a fan of the standard Quarter Cask you're going to want more than one bottle of this!
      Honey, vanilla, cinnamom, mint and of course the medicinal signature of Laphroaig
    • Taste
       Incredibly easy to drink. A complex, young but elegant whisky. Peaty, salty and spicy with some hints of white fruits like pear
       Long, peaty and dry. Lemon pops out at the end.

71. HW74 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

www.laphroaigcairdeas.com .... and it still exists.

72. magic_slim scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

Excellent Laphroaig but there is less cask influence than it is to be expected for a Quarter Cask ... must be either refill casks or a short finish.
      Clean, fresh and intensively peated with notes of Bavarian veal sausage, minerals, iodine and brine. Typical Laphroaig.
    • Taste
      Powerful, fresh, young and dry with an explosion of smoked licorice and peat at first mouthfeel. Spicy and mineral with notes of Lapsang Souching tea and a dash of lemon juice. Excellent.
      Very long, dry, peaty and spicy ... Lapsang Souchong tea mixed with licorice. Burning alcohol warming from deep inside.

73. Goethe scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

Concerning price/performance ratio: 6/10
      Smoke, dry citrus, iodine, some TCP, caramel and sweet vanilla way in the back.
    • Taste
      Smoke, medicinal, TCP, tar, salt, sharp pepper (yes, some alcohol but way in the back). Sour ashes.
      Long. Smoke, herbs (some tannins). Dark chocolate (Lindt Excellence 99%).

74. Caoldronach scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

I have made an experiment blending the Cairdeas 2017 with Laphroaig PX Cask. By the way, in the past years I carried out several experiments on blending two whiskies where I believe it could fit (trying different mix ratios). More than two is not possible for me as an amateur as unfortunately I'm by far no master blender ;-). But with a blend of two whiskies, only, sometimes amazing results are possible. I would say, in 90% of the trials the result was poor or at least not satisfying, but maybe 10% of the results were very convincing or at least quite interesting.

Here, I married two NAS Laphroaigs, so we still have a NAS Single Malt. As the PX Cask is also a "Quarter Cask" plus PX finish and the Cairdeas 2017 is called a "QC CS", both ingredients of the blend should belong to the same inner family.

The result was excellent, if I took not more than 30% of PX Cask.

Best is to mix 80% of Cairdeas with 20% of PX Cask (75:25 should still be alright, too).

The little amount of PX-Laphi adds to the lightness of the Cairdeas a nice roundness, more texture, more volume and it is more delicate. More complexity? I'm not sure. But for those who think the Cairdeas is too simple and lightweight, the little amount of PX might make these Laphroaig lovers happy. Which I prefer, the neat Cairdeas or the "80:20PX" depends on my mood. Because I also love the austere fresh iodine peatyness of the neat Cairdeas very much. But that's only me. What is for sure is that the addition of 20% of PX Cask Laphi changes the intrinsic character quite substantially, and not to the worse. 90 points on my personal scale.

75. boy_genius_ck scored this whisky 82 points Connoisseur

76. boy_genius_ck scored this whisky 82 points Connoisseur

still too young despite the 57.2% abv, lacks depth
      fresh, peat, light grass, butter, honey, cream, caramel, vanilla, white pepper, smoke
    • Taste
      sweet, creamy, young alcohol, spicy, light butter, cream, vanilla, grass, nuts, hints of citrus
      medium-long, lingering spiciness, light grass, heavy cream, butter, light honey, honeyed nuts and grass at the back followed by long spicy sweet grass

77. Oenologue scored this whisky 94 points Member Senior

Horny stuff !!!! Laphi through and through (really has everything a Laphi fan wants). Better than the Cask Strength 009. Make a blind comparison, it will open your eyes! (remembers my words :-)).

78. Oenologue scored this whisky 94 points Member Senior

Watts for awesome stuff !! This will blow my feet off. Ten times better than the normal Quarter Cask (which among the standard Laphis with drinking strength is already one of the better ones). And he really has everything that makes a Laphi enthusiast happy (the Cairdeas is a kind of "core Laphi" with a clearly recognizable Brennereicharakter). Jo, the Sissis ... ;-) ... I can not understand after this experience either. Huh? Smell it: crazy. Then the stuff is drinking: awesome. And the hammer: Better than the Laphi Cask Strength Batch # 009. The "fat" 009 is also fat colored with sugar couleur, the Cairdeas 2017 not going. One thinks the 009 would have to have more power, so a kind of 'sherry power', but the terribly pale Cairdeas would not (I think, without Zuckecouleur both would be the same pale). So, and now I ask all of you and tasted both BLIND in direct comparison. You will have an AHA experience, promise :-). By the way: the Cairdeas has to offer in comparison to the 009 still a horny drought, comfortably high three for a Laphipuristen.

79. Segens scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

A good solid Laphroaig with has a lot to offer even if the circumstances could have said differently

If the finish would have not shown the young age of this dram I would have given it more points but the finish has this decent metallic note which you may discover in very young drams

80. Helgo scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

The nose disappoints. The taste is not that bad. Powerful, tasty! Toilet duck with smoke ;-)
      The nose is very alcoholic and it gets cold around the nose. I get citrus notes with some chlorine. Toilet Duck! Dominant smoke, a few green apples and some salt.
    • Taste
      Much better in the mouth than in the nose. Slightly flavored apples and bananas. Salt, a lot of salt! The citrus notes are very dominant. And again and again smoke!
      Dry, powerful. However, only medium. The smoke stays over at the end.

81. Doctor B. scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

82. Marko_I did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

Hm. In itself no bad whisky. But on an evening after Four Oak, 1815 legacy, CS # 009, that's more of a disappointment than an increase. Especially for the cheaper and much better CS. About 80 € (with luck and Stöckchenspringen) is too much for me. I even liked the 1815 Legacy better. Let's see how the next Cairdeas will be.
      fresh - lemon, salt, disinfectant, carbonated mineral water, white pepper ... with cotton candy, vanilla and fresh sawdust, smoky cardboard box
    • Taste
      a little sweetness (vanilla, caramel), lots of pepper, salt, the smoke is stronger here than in the nose, ashes, tar, burnt, bitter, slightly metallic
      long, dry, pepper, burnt bread roll

83. whiskeyjedi scored this whisky 60 points Member Senior

Laphroaig Cairdeas (Feis Ile 2017)
    N: smoke, alc, sweetie
    G needs water, sharp, smoky and burning, typical of Lap. stop.

84. Pilatus did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

85. Archer scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Laphroaig says yes, many would have wished a Quarter Cask in cask strength. Yes, yes, the famous unknown mass. The normal Quarter Cask I had no longer in the glass longer, but I remember much more characterful and substantial remembered as the Cairdeas '17 presents here. A big favor the Laphroaig people did not do with this Cairdeas. A young smoker, less complex in the nose, quickly away from the tongue, relatively short finish. No complete cleaning, but that has already made Laphroaig better.
      First of all there is relatively little, which is reminiscent of the classic Laphroaig notes. A little smoke, a little bit of ash, a little sweetness of a fresh orange. As bright as he is, he smells "watery". Smelly rubber comes over time, rotten fish tickles the nose, but the smoke has evaporated quickly.
    • Taste
      Fruity-smoky on the go, much milder than expected at 57.2%. The focus is initially on light fruits, until then salty licorice, pepper and seaweed come. The Quarter Cask provides him with a dash of oak flavor. He quickly gets dry, the fruit sweetness takes a back seat and leaves cold camp fire smoke, bacon cubes and pepper.

86. FernetBranco scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

87. Whisky-Tester did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

88. Goethe scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

Well, this is quite a splitter. You have a lot of components for a very well done Cairdeas in this malt but something is missing due to its immaturity. You will get some modules with some water but the lacking of age is dominant. After all a punch of smoke and TCP in your face but not as good as the 48% standard bottle. Why is this the one everyone get's mad for by pressing F5 on and on? Had almost every Cairdeas, this one is the wishy-washy one. Come on Laphroaig you know how to make Islay whisky. Every Friend of Laphroaig loves the CS.Concerning price/performance ratio: 6/10
      Smoke, dry citrus, iodine, some TCP, caramel and sweet vanilla way in the back.
    • Taste
      Long. Smoke, herbs (some tannins). Dark chocolate (Lindt Excellence 99%).

89. pilgrim77 scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

Young and feisty nose when poured straight from the bottle. Lacking any depth or complexity apart from the phenolic peat. A few drops of water helped immensely, taming the fiery spirit and releasing more fruits (orchard and citrus), creamy fudge/tablet and some oaky vanilla. Water, therefore, is a must! Fiery (peppery) and peaty on the palate (even with water), with hints of wood splinters and bitterness suggesting that this was just too immature to be bottled. The finish rescues things a bit, with the trademark phenolic peat smoke lingering at the end. Good nose (with water) and good finish then...but shame about the youth/immaturity on the palate.

90. Amaliana scored this whisky 68 points Expert Senior

The weakest of all Cairdeas so far. An acquaintance said quarter cask in cask strength. Nothing special, you do not have to

91. cfosterk did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Just over five years in first fill bourbon (Heaven Hill) then a further 6 months in quarter casks.NOT full maturation as described elsewhere

Whiskybase was founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.