Highland Park 12-year-old

LO297Y L04 05/07
27 May 2017 2:47 pm by RoyC
Uncolored

Whisky Reviews for Highland Park 12-year-old

47 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 81.65 points

1. lincolnimp scored this whisky 52 points Connoisseur

The last Highland Park bottle I purchased was Dragon Legend, which I liked so thought it was about time I tried the latest 12 year to see if it was worth buying a session bottle as it were?
    Well it is a big, fat no from me because this is rubbish, I can`t believe this is what the distillery passes off as the opener in their core range these days.
    I know it is only £25-£35, so many will say "what do expect for that sort of money"?
    What I expect is something worth opening to be honest, this is just manufactured, sickly sweet, coloured and caramelised crap, it is awful. I must be honest but I was struggling to call this whisky, it tasted more like one of those dreadful 30% whisky liqueurs.
    Does Highland Park really think this sort of putrid offering is the sort of thing to lure in people new to whisky, if they do. well they need to re think their strategy because I would rather drink gin than this.
    The reason I am having a rant is because it was Highland Park 12 year that got me started on my whisky journey over 20 years ago, HP 12 back then meant something which was a quality, tasty dram at a reasonable price and something that could be relied upon for quality.
    Highland Park management, you should hang your collective heads in shame for trying to pass this vile oversweet, tasteless and soulless whisky off as a quality dram, you have gone the way of Macallan but. at least you are a bit cheaper for your base offering I suppose. This makes Laphroaig Select look like a quality dram and Laphroaig select is rubbish too.
    I got the Dragon Legend bottle when it first came out, I need to buy another one to see if they have reduced the quality in that one too.
    WTF Highland Park, just WTF are you doing?

2. Arquebus scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

Decent enough dram for £25  - in fact an excellent dram at this price, especially for a 12 yr old age statemented whisky.  It's let down a little by its meagre 40%, but I like the subtle signature HP smoke in this. I bought it for the bottle - with the Celtic knot work on the bottle - thinking I'd use it for a 'solera' bottle (creating my own malt blend by adding different malts to it).

3. peatbogger scored this whisky 81 points Specialist

Lacks the depth and fullness of the more matured ones which I feel may not have been so noticable at a few % more abv.

Still a decent 12YO.
      Fresh, fruity, citrus, pineapples, green apples, oranges.

Mild but not in any way prominent peat smoke.

Sweetness of honey and a little vanilla.
    • Taste
      Very mild and almost watery arrival.

A short burst of sweetness before it quickly turns to rather spicy warm.

Nuts, caramel, cinamon, maybe some smoke cured ham at the end.
      Sweet caramel, nuts, honney sweetness with some of the spice lingering in a small inch short of medium lenght. Rather nice salty liqorice on the death.

4. HammerHead scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

5. WhiskyPEATer scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

6. rmoh scored this whisky 83 points Member Senior

Peaty and sweet.
    • Taste
      Smoky and smooth, with spices tingling.
      Long and spicy.

7. erwinnlim scored this whisky 80 points Expert Senior

Value (£25) : 7/10

8. Samwise2020 scored this whisky 82 points Expert Senior

9. Svarttt scored this whisky 77 points Expert Senior

My first bottle of 12 in this design and I was almost a little scared.
    It's not a blast, but less bad than expected. Are there such batch fluctuations?

10. Mapl scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

Unfortunately, I caught a slightly sulphurous and very bad batch.