88.00/100
18 Jul 2009 12:03 am
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

one in wishlist

Whisky Reviews for Glenlochy 1977 CA

3 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.00 points

1. detachedblue scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

Hot and peppery, dried herbs, very farmy, fierce apple juice, manure.
    • Taste
      Intense, citrusy, mineral, inky sugar, citrus fruits, very minty, OBE, huge camphor.
      Peppery, chemical, minty sugar, celery salt, medium length.

2. Dram Dracula scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Not a bad whisky, but also not very compelling. This is a hot whisky no matter how much water you add. Very one dimensional, with not much in the way of flavor development over time, or with increasing amount of water.  If I were to have a whole bottle of this, and I have to pay over $150, I probably wouldn't be very thrilled. To be honest, I probably gave this an extra point or two because it's a closed distillery, and I'm a whisky romantic.
      Burns the hair on my nostrils, as expected... a bit of Clorox, which is unfortunate, and the nose is definitely very closed.
    • Taste
      Very warming, malty, unripe pears, vanilla, a bit grassy, very hot, but also quite balanced... let's not mess around, where's the water? With a bit of H2O, aloe, green apples, grassy, and guess what, still very hot. Where's the water again?!? I do want to say that with enough water, I actually can taste a bit of lagavulin peat in this, but it could also be my imagination.
      As I said before, this is actually quite balanced despite its strength. Finish is long, but it doesn't really matter -- I would score this the same even if it's short. It just doesn't give me any wow.

3. Prof.Schoof did not rate this whisky Expert Senior