- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Diageo Special Releases 2017
- Stated Age
- 37 years old
- Refill American Oak Hogsheads & Refill Americ
- Number of bottles
- 51.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 01 May 2017 8:43 pm by Dris
47 × in wishlist
128 × member ratings
93 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Port Ellen 17th Release
6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 93.25 points
- Nose is perfume-like, as though you are standing in the middle of a flower field. Peat is present but never over-whelming nor aggressive. Initially, sweet and peaty on the palate. After a few sips, the floral notes comes out and plays with the peat in the background. This dram is superbly well-balanced. Finish is long and lingers with floral and savoury notes. A must-try for any whisky enthusiast.
- Tasting Notes: Nose: Oh yes! What a wonderful fragrance! Port Ellen at its best! The fantastic aroma of underground tunnel (I really like that, my wife hates it!), Old steam locomotive, damp cellar, plus barbecue sauce and perfectly integrated smoke. Oily, waxy, maritime, ultra harmonious and with perfectly integrated alcohol. That would be enough, but the malt develops in the glass, now switching to coconut, butter biscuits, fresh straw, roasted nuts, damp soil and foliage. After a short time different again, pear compote, the smell of a new and for the first time opened book and smoked ham, constantly changing aromas!
Mouth: Sweet, salty, voluminous, with actually exactly what I had previously perceived in the aroma, that's what's dancing on my tongue! You can not say much more about this, maybe even that the mouthfeel is wonderfully powerful and yet not obtrusive, with time maybe some licorice and tar.
Finish: Medium long, but with everything in the reverberation, which I had tasted before.
Conclusion: Great, even without apparent sherry barrel impact, a Port Ellen in best shape! https://whiskycuse.wordpress.com/
- On the nose, dusty peat, woody moistened and grilled!
On the palate, a little tannin, then fruity, velvety peat, noble or old spices, it is according to, leather, that of the old armchairs of the ushers!, A little soot in return, the fruits come from a compote on the corner of the fire.
In the final, a little salty, cold and dirty smoke, the fruits again and old leather!
A dram too fast, the length of which was not appreciated at its true value, where the scents are not very long, but tenacious.