86.41/100
2133619336197
11 Apr 2017 7:34 pm by adrenalin
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Fettercairn 1988 CA

6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.41 points

1. Sb17sw scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

Tried it at two different Cadenhead tastings.
    I can not believe the first score I gave it, second time I am in the mid 80's.
    Very well balanced dram.

2. DenisL scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

alcohol ... behind the alcohol are hiding ripe fruit and gingerbread ... green grass and freshness ... unleavened dough ... (21)
    The taste is pleasant, spicy ... caramel and banana ... creamy cream ... lemon (22) Finish vanilla, biscuit and fruit salad ... bitter ... rough and turning into ginger tea (22) Balance sheet (22) Delicious. But I do not leave the thought that I have already tried it

3. kot1803 scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

• Taste

4. Owidram scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Very expressive nose, yellow fruits with dunnage warehouse notes.

Powerful mouth, seems younger but 28 yo, perfectly balanced. it doesn't need water (and i didn't try adding some so far).Very spirit driven, dynamic,

Ends very salty, with a long finish. sharp, focused, clean.

Not the best Fettercairn I've tasted, because I'm lacking these cristalized mandarines  you often get in this distillery. But not far from/

Yet I must admit this was the first dram - I've just popped up one of these - let's see if these missing mandarines appear later on: I will increase my score then.

Amazing Fettercairn, far from its delicate/light reputation: a very good selection.

PS: Score increased from 90 to 91 a month after opening, gets tremendous balance then

5. Arquebus scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Just starting to get into this one now the bottle's been open a few weeks. I admit I don't know Fettercairn  as a distillery and this is my first tasting. I'd heard not so good stuff about Fettercairn - but this one is rather good.

At first I thought more sherry than bourbon cask. However - now it's an explosion of fruits, refresher sweets - the body is delicate/ light. It's perfume-like - clean, spirity. In the mouth it's sweet - but not cloying. It's fresh, mouth watering stuff with a good lingering length finish, with some fabulous spice from the wood.

Intriguing whisky. Complex. Old school. From the nose I would have said refill sherry butts - quite oak driven - which personally I love. There is icing sugar like when you smell it and you get sweetness in the nose along with a spirity nip. The fruity esters are tight, an overripe banana/ custard combo almost rubbery/savoury (salad rocket leaves - with a bitter salty edge) – you have to ‘dig in’ to unpick it and get that it’s fruit notes. A touch of putty, earl grey/ bergamot – all wrapped in, on first opening of bottle: perfumed like eau de cologne mint (and the spirit/ alcohol accentuates this giving an impression of aftershave). All balanced with damp wood notes – Iron / vitamin B tablets Mouthfeel is thin, spirity. It takes water well - this really opens up the sweetness, but it balance with quite a nip - heat, like wasabi, also a bitter edge develops. Fantastic oak spices linger in the finish.

if you have a bottle and it's going to be hanging around, I'd recommend trying a nitrogen blanket once the level gets to the top of the label.

6. MacErwin did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

So steht es auf der Flasche:
    Nose: Autumnal forests, banana loaf, and soft ashy notes.

taste: Marzipan, icing sugar, crystallised oranges and soft oakiness.

Finish: Red fruits, melted tablet, dunnage warehouses with a salty edge.