90.85/100
Bourbon Hogshead
Strength
06 Apr 2017 5:11 pm by Bishlouk

Whisky Reviews for Caol Ila 1983 CA

7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.85 points

[April, 2017]  As all the 1982-84 Caol Ila vintages bottled by Cadenhead last year were simply great whiskies I have high expectations...

Yep, expectations met.  The nose is full of delicious old style Islay aromas that promise an extraordinary malt.  They call it on the label "acrylic paint" - I call it old bottle flavour (OBF).  Lots of additional aromas on maritime and floral/grassy notes (of course, Islay grass - what else?).  One to sniff for hours and you still detect something new.

Rich, fat and oily arrival on the palate.  No hot moment, no distracting feeling.  One of the best arrivals I had for months...  The body keeps the promise of the nose:  unbelievable complex and balanced.  No, I did not find the "leg of lamb with rosemary and hints of rabbit" as they stated on the back label.  But a lot of delicious other things (I will not name them here, you should find out yourself...).  All imbedded in an adorable sweet and peaty structure.  No flaws that I can detect.  Water is not needed, it makes the dram much sweeter and therefore drives it a little bit out of this perfect balance.  The finish is very long with some additional maritime flavours added.  Neither bitter nor drying, just a little cold ash.  It reminds me of the smell at Port Askaig harbour with a distant cold fireplace after a delicious seafood BBQ (I wax lyrically when sipping such stuff).

Another exceptional release by the good people at Cadenhead, this salute is to you - Slainte!

[August, 2017] I re-tasted it tonight and fully comfirm my prior review. This is great stuff both to nose and taste. The best bang you can get for your bucks these days, I just bought another bottle! Love it... (Tonight I am tempted to score it even higher at 93-94 points). Yes, I am sure now: I rate this 93 points tonight! Adore it!
    • Taste

[December, 2017]  It is a little ritual that the last dram in a year always comes from the distillery I liked most during that year.  And this time the winner is:  Caol Ila with its exceptional 30+years bottlings from the early eighties that were all truly outstanding.  I bought his bottle for 239 Euro in August, 2017 and I am afraid it will not last very long into 2018.

I fully confirm my review from earlier this year and I am tempted to score it even one point higher tonight.  But I resist that temptation and leave the score where it is - at astonishing 93 points...

3. lachaineduwhisky did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

I had a wonderful time! Enthusiasm 5/5 Whisky n ° 1436
      It is not the peat that I encounter in the first place but a magnificent combination of fleshy fruits - cooked apples, melon - and malt flour. The peat joins them, soft, fine, slightly medicinal (but not ashy). Then vanilla.
    • Taste
      Very consistent with the nose with a great "block" malt / fruit. The peat is assertive, sweet spices are there, delicately sweet, just right.
      Long and sweet, but not really sweet, there is even a slight dryness drawing towards the bitter malt with a little water. Fine peat again.

4. sagara-kun scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

It's super balanced, complex and good.
      Very nice nose. Fruit compote, apple, peach, plum.
      Vanilla, light peat, mint.
      Pineapple. Light wood. Butter.
      It's very balanced.
    • Taste
      On the palate it is quite sweet, buttered, fruity.
      Light floral side.
      Yellow fruits, pineapple.
      Finale on butter and fruit. Cold ashes.

5. Hvdree scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

6. steve_pinkcity did not rate this whisky Expert Junior

7. Bishlouk scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

It is a very good whisky end to end, end while having a strong character. But I also find that it lacks certain characteristics that I like in old Caol Ila, like the assertive minerality or the perceptible ash, for example. Blindly, I would rather bet on an Old Pulteney than on a Caol Ila. How independent traffic jams often offer us a different angle of approach.
      Very aromatic from the start. Fennel, sorrel, a little star anise. Then come the lemon peel and sea shell. Aromatic herbs settle down after a while, so the fruit and the sea breeze mingle.
    • Taste
      It is here that this Caol Ila is fully revealed: tart lemon, melted salinity, sweet spices that dance on the tongue. The fruit comes in waves; and the texture is creamy on the palate. Stewed white grapes, lemon, and green apple.
      Salinity remains a moment, while spices are more spicy. The tart fruit compote remains a long time in the mouth.