- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Stated Age
- 03 years old
- (partly) second fill Oloroso cask
- Number of bottles
- 50.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 19 Mar 2017 2:12 pm by RodyE
25 × in wishlist
44 × member ratings
402 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Wolfburn The Kylver Series - 2
5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.97 points
- In 2017, the retail price in Germany was about €150 - €160.
- While the casks have clearly done their job, this is quite an idiosyncratic Wolfburn. It did not lose its own identity at any point. Unfortunately, this will set you back some 200 EUR, which is quite a lot.
Very fresh and fruity nose on all kinds of stone fruits like mango and peach, but also juicy pears and melon, a single slice of lime and even green banana. Almost tropical, if not for the touch of earth and peat. Nevertheless, this is a very nice and inviting nose that really pleases. After a few moments, the fruit evolves towards the candied variety, pineapple and coconut kick in fiercely and a big note of mildly burnt brown sugar appears. I like it!
It is nicely oily, almost piquant (loads of ginger and pepper) with a very nice smoky touch. The peat presses on, subduing the fruit somewhat. But I still get lovely notes of figs, pineapple and sultanas. Vanilla and caramel, cinnamon and toasted oak give it some depth. But it has lost the quasi-tropical touch from the nose. It even gets a salty edge.
The finish is warm and long with the emphasis on ginger and cinnamon, while the smoke lingers in the background. A salty uppercut at the death.
- Takes the sherry chromosomes of Wolfburn Aurora and uses a fortuitous butt to sequence a different type of release which is even more impressive. On the one hand this is tremendously drinkable, on the other its a dram to sit, rest and allow to develop further - such is the great balance of this whisky. Whilst Wolfburn once again effortlessly fill their own shoes, you can leave me with the Kylver and I'll fill my boots.
Full tasting notes: https://www.thedramble.com/tastings/wolfburn/wolfburn-kylver-series-2/
- The second edition of Wolfburn's Klyver series was bottled for the Caithness Viking Festival and was only available in the distillery and in a shop in Thurso. The bottled in April 2017 whisky matured partly in refilled Olroroso sherry casks.
The Vikings, who ruled Caithness until 1266, brought alphabetical characters, so-called runes, to Thurso. Runes are ancient characters of Germanic peoples. The oldest surviving Anglo-Saxon rune series is called Futhark after the first six characters. By the way, such an alphabet carved in stone is in the Museum Thurso (at the same time Tourist Information). The first complete rune series of 24 characters was found in 1903 on a tombstone in southern Sweden carved. Derived from the nearby Kylver farm, the historic stone Kylverstein is called and serves as a name giver. (Distillery)