- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS)
- Bottling serie
- Fruity, sticky, yummy
- Stated Age
- 10 years old
- Virgin Heavy Toast Medium Charr Oak Hogshead
- Number of bottles
- 57.7 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 03 Feb 2017 3:37 pm by mandragoru
0 × in wishlist
22 × member ratings
27 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Strathisla 2006 SMWS 58.19
8 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.00 points
- Nose: Totally sweet, reminiscent of mulled wine with gummy bears, tart sour oak is found in the background and offers a pleasant contrast to the strong sweetness. The alcohol is already felt in the nose. After a longer life the oak and the acid become more dominant. Vanilla and charred wood also come to mind and an association with roasted coffee beans I can not get out of my head.
Taste: Sweet, fruity, gummy bears, strawberry, sweet and light grapes, vanilla, orange and on departure to tender bitterness. The finish is also surprisingly something that reminds me of wild berries. An interesting residual fruit with vanilla and honey also remains relatively long. I also like to hear some roasty aromas. Coffee flavors are not available, but some bittersweet chocolate can be found. Conclusion: delicious! Not overwhelmed and the flavors hit the mark.
- Magnificent Stratula, only 10 years old, and such a hurricane of various derivatives, and the aroma and taste / finish amaze with its depth and richness, besides, the Molt develops over time, revealing new faces, it's just a bomb.
Clear, raw, the first nose - a raw tree, dried fruits; vegetable notes, frying oil, corn, vanilla, popcorn, fried sunflower seeds, grilled vegetables, fruit and confectionery caramel motifs with honey in the background, a few floral hues; over time honey-floral and fruity shades come to the fore, wine tones on the whole make the fragrance more sweet and sunny.
Thick, powerful, sweet-oily, peppery, raisins, spicy oak, lemonade-mineral notes, tropical fruits, ginger, orange peel.
Spicy, powerful, ginger candied fruits, jam with orange peels, tropical fruits, dried fruits - mango, bananas and melon; soft and spicy oak, oily.
Thanks for the sample...
- It needs a bit of water.
- A nice classic!
- SMWS tasting notes:
Initially lifted and sweet with dried cherries, red wine gums and floral connotations of Turkish delight, lavender and rose tea. The tea developed into earl grey with carefree quantities of brown sugar giving a viscous and sticky mouth feel followed by the sweet fruitiness of mango coulis and strawberry jam on hot buttered crumpets. Water released the fresh woodiness of a pine forest with wild flowers, pink wafers with vanilla ice cream and a clean finish of peppermint and mint humbugs. After spending 10 years in an ex-Bourbon hogshead it was transferred to a virgin oak hogshead for the remainder of its maturation.
DRINKING TIP: Whilst on a sunny stroll through the woods.