Bruichladdich 2006

Sherry Hogshead
Strength
13 Jan 2017 8:03 pm by MacLeod66

Whisky Reviews for Bruichladdich 2006

9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.77 points

1. holborndrinker did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

Who is Ms Codd and why does she get a bottle in her honour?   Turns out she is the PA to the Production Director.  Her bio states:

"Becky is originally from Coventry, but having moved to Islay as a youngster, found that she couldn’t go back. “I didn't like it anymore. I wanted to be up here, it was so weird. Because when I first moved here, I hated it. And then when we left I just didn't want to be anywhere else. It was weird.”

Finishing High School on Islay before she was 16, and joining the Bruichladdich team 18 months after that, her rise through the company since has been very natural, if a little breathless.

She explains, "I started off in the shop working alongside Julie Chalmers in an administrative role, learning all the background work, spreadsheets and stock control etc, because I was too young to actually sell alcohol. Once I turned 18 I started to do the tours where I learnt a lot about the distillation of the whisk y and met lots of nice people. Once Julie got her promotion, I got her job. Started that in July and then I had this job the following April"

She is now officially Production Director, Allan Logan’s PA.  “But I do help a lot of people up here. Allan's who I work for, but you know this place…” In fact she refers to Allan and Adam Hannett, head distiller, as “B1 and B2. Yeah, Boss 1, Boss 2. That's their nicknames.”

Of her current role on the production side of the business, she says, “It’s good, it's so different. Coming over to this side, you do see it from a whole different perspective. In the shop, you just sell the whisky, but on this side you know how they make it. This side you're watching them and knowing how they do it, putting it all into the system. I log the movement of all the spirit onto the database for Joanne in the warehouses. And I do all the ordering of the malt and the barleys, and the spirit and botanicals for the gin.”

So watching, learning, coordinating distillery events like the Islay beach clean or Christmas party, and brightly supporting those around her should keep Becky still for now.

"I enjoy working for this company, I can’t see myself moving anywhere. This is a good position to be in at my age," she adds, “I'm only 21.""

To see the original atricle (complete with her mugshot) go to

2. berarith73 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

3. zerg1129 scored this whisky 86 points Member Senior

At first, the alcohol is slightly heavier. After half an hour, the aroma will gradually develop. The sweet and soft aroma is not lost, the taste is soft and sweet in the middle and back, and the spice in the mouth is slightly slightly slightly. (twenty one)
      Sweet sherry, citrus, stewed fruit sweet, plum, honey syrup, toffee, hazelnut, chocolate, spice (22)
    • Taste
      Medium thick. Micro-sulphur, sherry, raisin, dried fruit, raisins, toffee, caramel, plum, black berries, chocolate, walnuts, pepper (22)
      Medium to long. Slightly sulphur and salty, dried fruit, citrus peel, citrus fruit aroma, chocolate, toffee, walnut, wooden tannin, pepper (21)

4. ARDBERG scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

5. Hemdl scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Good, but not outstanding. The front places within the crew Valinches does not create the No. 25, but that was hardly to be expected given the bar. So what do you get here? An interesting and quite delicious 10-year-old Sherry in cask strength, which leaves room for experiments with water. The slight influence of sulfur does not bother me, but could certainly be the knockout criterion for some.
      Strong in the nose, a tick (too) alcoholic. Almost 60% alcohol can hardly be hidden, which is often the crux of these young bottlings. Then there is the expected and little surprising Sherry influence with all its sweetness. Red fruits with a lot of sugar. Some time in the glass calms the malt, although it does not work wonders. The sweetish aromas are slightly stronger, in the background still quite distant a touch of oak palpable.
    • Taste
      Here, too, strong in the start, the alcohol bizzles on the tongue. Here you could certainly experiment with water, which I leave but now sometimes. Here, too, the distinct sherry influence with all its sweet aromas, dry and spicy / earthy oak notes. Is there a hint of sulfur in it? I'm pretty sure, but not nearly as clear as most recent "sulfur bombers" from private kegs or independent bottlers.
      Long, warm, a bit dry. Once the malt has disappeared from the tongue, a slight hint of sulfur comes through next to the slightly dry mouthfeel. Not really strong, but available. Does not bother me, in fact I am probably one of the few who finds these notes quite "interesting", if not too dominant.

6. Ana Chronist scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

7. Wolv scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

8. martinni scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

9. Drk Neknul scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

A young Sherry Hogshead picked Adam for Becky, Alan's always smiling happy assistant. Per se, metalogically, you can probably look forward to something good, because Becky supports Adam in her role, and who likes to have trouble with the closest employees? Unfortunately, no further information on the sherry or even the bodega. But it's also a hogshead, not a butt. Well no matter, serving temperature is reached at CV25, try makes smart ... Eye / nose: amber. Rich cognac tone. In the nose, although the malt has been resting in the glass for about fifteen minutes, a torrent of alcohol almost stuns my sensory organ. After the first attempt, the cloud disappears and gives way to herbal-grassy notes. Lots of sherry, little laddie in the nose. This is not an "old" sherry smell, as you know it from the past, but rather the fresh, somewhat (too?) Sweetly guessed sherry influence, which is often inherent in "modern" sherries. In the background a touch of lovage. Not really unpleasant but present, the notorious Maggiekraut. A few soup herbs remind me almost a little of a port storage. Palate: Also here initially leads the alcohol. But on the second try the Laddie character comes through. Then sweet sherry follows. Oak, earthy notes that make me think subconsciously of the good old Laddie storehouses. The Laddie Brennereicharakter with its lightness and its pastry notes is now very nice days and is also preserved, which of course I like. The influence of the barrel on the other hand is absolutely unmistakable. This must have been a very active sherry keg, as it was able to impress the malt in such a short time. Almost too active, you could say. The malt had to be filled in a timely manner, a further maturation would have brought the danger of "tilting", I would say. Incidentally, I find the sherry type itself not so easy to determine, very different elements are present in approaches, so really clean assigned but they do not get what a hogshead so 'design-related' sometimes not so unusual. In any case, I spare myself the wild guesswork. Finish / Conclusion: Amazingly long sherry finish that still does not completely convince me. The finish looks very warm and soft, that fits perfectly so far! But at the end I have a stout, slightly corky note and the tongue remains occupied. Difficult to classify. Could have gotten a bit of sulfur without me knowing for sure. Also some lovage again. More intense than in the nose. The malt will polarize. You do not have to be a clairvoyant to say that. Personally, the character of the sherry used does not really suit my taste, and the malt also has a few minor flaws on my palate. The bottom line, I draw a similar conclusion as the CV24 before, albeit for entirely different considerations. Truly no evil malt but no really outstanding representative of the Valinches crew. The older bottlings have in the direct comparison to the youngsters so far mostly the nose ahead and continue to occupy the podium. But exceptions confirm the rule, as Adam has already proved with his barrel selection mefach. Let's look forward to barrel # 26.