88.04/100
5020613060654
01 Dec 2016 1:25 pm by RoyC
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Ardmore 2002 GM

36 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.04 points

[October, 2017]   This is REALLY funny:  Usually Jim is much more sulphur-sensitive than I am but he rates this whisky as the best Scotch under 15 years and scores it with 96,5 points without mentioning any sulphurous flavour at all.  Now I am sceptical either about my taste buds or that of Jim and so I opened another bottle simply to check who is right...

The colour is burnished and the texture shows just a sticky ring at the top of the glass that very, very late transforms into fat sticky tears and very slow legs.  What a great oiliness!  Oops, surprisingly I do not find any sulphur aromas in the nose this time (but let's wait until the taste is judged...). So it is really adorable on this complex peaty-herbal-toasty and spicy wooden profile, this is above 90 points today!  The mouthfeel is a little hot (no wonder at 57,5% abv) but nicely coating with no bitter or adstringent feeling.  Not too bad and exactly as the texture promised!  The taste offers this great sweet-peat combo that Ardmore is famous for and again ... no sulphur!

What the hell did my taste buds do when I tried this dram in January and detected a slight sulphurous taste?  Obviously, I have to recalibrate them from time to time (or was the glass not cleaned properly?).  Nevertheless, this does not matter at all as I retasted it and therefore can correct my old review...  The finish is long and very delicate on more spices and a delicious creamy mocha flavour.  Not a single flaw that I can find, really superb!  Water opens up this dram even more and I like it both ways - neat as well as reduced with some water.  Another characteristic of a great dram...

I acknowledge the supremacy of Jim's taste buds!  And it is good to re-taste such drams in case of doubt as sometimes your tastes fool you or you have a spoiled sample or glass or ....  I really like this dram and as I wrote in my old review:  Without sulphur this whisky is worth 90+ points!
    • Taste

[January, 2017]  Really nice stuff.  Modern style sherry combined with this tasty Ardmore peatiness, a great combo.  And it is a perfect example to explore the difference between mainland peat (that tastes more of ashes, a cold fireplace and burnt wood) and islands peat (medicinal, salty, ...). But unfortunately one of the casks was lightly sulphured, without this the score might have scratched the 90 points barrier...

Ardmore is one of the most underrated distilleries today, and you can buy very delicious bottlings for reasonable prices (just a fraction of comparable Islay malts).  If you love Islay and drink your whiskies, go for this distillery.  It is the closest you can get to your loved Islay malts, but it is a class of its own too.

By the way, there are very nice people at Ardmore.  Despite they have no visitors centre they do everything to satisfy show-ups (as long as it does not disturb operations...).  I love this distillery!
    • Taste

[October, 2017]  I need another oldie tonight and selected an old Ardmore vintage 1965 (WB id 14357) from my sample library.  To make it more interesting I do this head-to-head to this recent Ardmore that I scored with 88 and 91 points respectively on different evenings.

Clearly I prefer the old Ardmore because of its more complex and interesting profile but the 2002 is a great dram, too.  But most interestingly the 2002 Ardmore tasted different every single time I tried it (so far) - is this a chameleon dram or do my taste buds fool me?  As there is still a lot of whisky left in this bottle I will investigate the chameleon effect further...
      The 1965 is old gold while the 2002 is burnished (sherry cask-matured). The texture of the 1965 shows late fat sticky tears that slowly build legs and the 2002 is basically about the same great oiliness. The 1965 offers an adorable old nose of grassy, floral, herbal and malty aromas together with a nice OBF. I really like it. The 2002 is meaty tonight what is a sulphurous aroma (strange, this is the third different nose on my third taste of this dram). It shows more peaty and sherry flavours in a nice combo. Nevertheless I like the 1965 more.
    • Taste
      The 1965 truly is multi-layered and complex on barley sugary sweet, slightly peaty and fruity flavours in a balanced mix. By no means it is perfumy or papery as Serge tasted it (is this additional bottle maturation or are there different batches? I guess the latter as the nose is not very, very smokey as in Serge's notes). To me this is a great palate! The 2002 offers this modern sherry and peaty profile with toasted and spiced flavours in a firm wooden setting. Not bad, but again the 1965 takes this round... Some water releases more aromas in the 1965 both in the nose and taste, actually I like it even better this way! The 2002 is nice both ways - neat and reduced.
      The 1965 arrives warming and instantly coating on the palate with some minor drying moments (metallic, as so often with old Cadenhead dumpy bottles - is it the screw cap or genuine from the whisky?). The 2002 is hot on the palate (57,5% abv) but coating too, and without distracting moments despite a minor dryness from the mainland peat (cold ashes). Again, I like the oldie better. The 1965 has a medium length finish that somewhat is weaker than the rest of the dram. Nevertheless, very nice and enjoyable and without any flaws. The finish of the 2002 is long and adds chocolatey and moccha notes to its profile that are delicious. This round takes the 2002, clearly!

4. St. Pauli scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

Quite a complex dram for such a younster on refills. Next to that, it has enough power and salinity to make a distinctive (positive) impression.
      Flowery peat combined with dry sherry (flor). It gives this dram a slight savoury feel, with roasted almond and walnut. That's not all though. A combination of orange blossom, orange juice, tropical fruit, honey, and malt.
    • Taste
      The peat is rather earthy this time, you can almost taste the twigs here. Further: salted licorice (or its root), loads of roasted almonds, honey, and fresh fruit. A slight influence of the cask (some vanillins, and soft spice). With water, it gets grassier (lemon grass).
      Rather long, gently spicy on pepper and cinnamon, a tad earthy still (peat and licorice), with almond, grass and orange.

5. Johannes de Silentio scored this whisky 89 points Member Senior

Color: Copper

Nose: Lovely. This is what I'm looking for on a sherry-peat combination when it's on the cleaner end of the spectrum (as opposed to sheer brutality on the other, which can also be great). This profile always reminds me of a spicy BBQ sauce: brown sugar, smoke, savory flavors. There's also this subtle yeasty note coming through, which provides a nice balance to the sweetness, spice, and smoke.

Mouth: Continues to be excellent. Rich mouthfeel. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of sherried Springbanks (complimentary sense here), but with more peat coming through. With water I think I get what Serge means when he talks about G&M bottlings getting a bit "milky" when diluted. It's still great. Not much else changes, except some of the heat goes away.

Finish: Long and pleasant.

Comments: I review this as I near completion of the bottle. It's my second-to-last remaining bottle from the G&M Cask Strength series (I still have a 1986 Glenrothes from the Old and Rare Whisky Show from a couple years ago), which has now been discontinued after G&M lumped it into the rebranded Connoisseurs Choice range. While I enjoy the latter, I am sincerely missing these bottles. I was able to purchase this great malt for a very reasonable price. That was common for these tasteful brown-labelled bottles.

This is a definite recommend for where it can still be found.

6. ovanpuyvelde scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

This whisky has an ever changing appreciation for me; some days I really adore it and other days I find it too fierce and powerful. It varies between 86 and 90 points depending on the mood I’m in when I drink it. Therefore, I will give it an average rating of 88 points for now.

7. Vladimir Ziryanov scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

8. wncvirus scored this whisky 88 points Expert Junior

391/5000
    Whisky: Ardmore 2002 GM 14 YO Casknumber
    935, 936 & 938

Nose: potatoes, light notes of smoked meat, sweet notes in the form of dried fruits
    Taste: Perceptible smoked meat with added wine elements, Alcohol is cleverly concealed. The notes are quite deep.
    Rating: 88 | 100 Finish quite a long, slightly warming with the aroma of the earth. Interesting whisky. Nicely folded, it seems to me worth recommending.

9. LukasJakubDrabek did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Angus & Serge Tasting Notes: http://www.whiskyfun.com/archivejanuary18-1-Linkwood-Ardmore-Clynelish.html#080118 (88 & 87/100).

10. Luigisim scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

Tannic and sour, not exactly the style I like

Quite heavy, It gets better with water when some peated notes raise up