33 × in wishlist
129 × member ratings
324 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Timorous Beastie 21-year-old DL
28 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.98 points
- Raisins, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, cranberries, candied fruit - with ventilation we are in the wardrobe with leather jackets - dry medium-long finish
- I have to disagree with Serge on this one. Way too little cask character for 21 years; the sherry does nose nicely but is way too overt and masks anything that might lie beneath. The finish, too, is nothing to write home about, especially not for a malt of this age.
I'd wager we're dealing with lesser-quality casks here, finished in first-fill sherry to put lipstick on a pig, as it were. Note that the bottle carries no information on the precise mode of maturation, only that this has "a big sherry influence" (no argument from me here). Also somewhat hot, which, again, is a bit weird for the stated age.
I've grown very disenchanted with the whole "regional malts" series (some of the NAS versions were so immature as to border on the frivolous). This isn't bad per se, it just does not deliver what I'd expect from a sherry-matured 21-year-old. Not worth the asking price.
- Timorous Beastie 21yo WID 88718 https://www.whiskybase.com/.../timorous-beastie-21-year-old-dl #WagnerAlexTastingNotes
21yo: Nose: strong sherry influence with nuts, nutmeg and fruits, fresh, lively, sweet, vanilla, some leather, slightly herbaceous, blood oranges & strawberries, Hefezopf, raisins, which are given in many notes, I could not even guess - usually I have The very good in the nose, but here was not even the way to my raisin pack and a good train of it an impact on my senses Taste: tasty, low in alcohol, sweet and fruity but also spicy, very good balance between the aromas, milk chocolate, orange zest Finish / aftertaste: some leather, "old", very fruity, long, spicy, slightly astringent, slightly sweet Comment: I like it very much and joins a long list of good ex-Sherry Malts (yes, this one is a blended one); However, he can not stand out for me Points: Good 90/100
- Compared to the 16, this is an intensity grenade - compared to single malt from the price range, it clearly weakens
pleasing, round, tasty - somewhat one-dimensional
- you need to like those muddy, dampy aromas to enjoy this one..
dark honey, pine needles, chocolate, cinnamon, grass, cherry, orange, lemon zest, strawberries, blackberries, baked apple with cinnamon, fresh apple, pear
Oh that is very interesting.
Very soft and sweet in the mouth with honey, melon, strawberry, lime, then some grapefruit, wood and coffee
As soon as you swallow it comes a lot of pepper and chili. Once the sharpness has subsided, a slight sweetness remains. He has a really long finish