Whiskybase uses tracking cookies in order to improve the website. Do you allow Whiskybase to place these cookies?

You can always change your decision under the privacy settings of your account.

Regardless of your choice Whiskybase places functional cookies to store settings and account information.

Loch Lomond Single Grain

Overall rating 40 votes 78.53
Category
Single Grain
Distillery
Bottler
Distillery Bottling
Bottled
2016
Strength
46.0 % Vol.
Size
700 ml 700 ml
Bottle code
L2 21/12/2016
Barcode
5016840050216
Added on
28 Oct 2016 4:12 pm by RoyC
UncoloredNon-chillfiltered

one in wishlist

My 4 x 25 ratings

Nose
1
Taste
1
Finish
1
Balance
1

Average 4 x 25 rates

All versions

Nose 20
Taste 20
Finish 19
Balance 19

Tastingtags

4 Notes

hs305
Connoisseur hs305 Review note
12 May 2017 7:54 pm
hs305 gave this whisky 83 points

[May, 2017]  I just did a private tour of Loch Lomond distillery, one of the very last sites I have not been in the stillhouse so far.  The tour was done very professionally by Ibon and clarified a lot of my questions about this fascinating distillery that produces so many different styles of whisky under one roof.  So this is a good reason to do some reviews of their current product range.

This is a single grain whisky that was distilled in the small pair of Coffey stills at Loch Lomond distillery that are located in the same stillhouse as the pot stills (they own big Coffey stills in a detached building too, where the grain for blending purposes is produced).  But contrary to the other grain whiskies they use 100 per cent malted barley from the same washs that feed the malt stills for this single grain too.  Actually it is a malt by its ingredients that is just continuously distilled - so by Scottish law it has to be called a grain whisky.  The cut-off point at distillation is at 84% significantly lower as with the other grain whiskies that usually go for around 95% - so more flavours and aromas are preserved.  It has aged for around 4-5 years in first fill bourbon casks (around 20 per cent of each batch) and the remaining 80 per cent come from refill bourbon casks. 

The nose is very light and fruity.  It reminds me rather of the smell of prosecco or other sparkling wines than of a whisky.  Really interesting.  The mouthfeel is smooth and soft with no hot moments at all.  On the palate a sweet and fruity profile develops, again a little prosecco-alike (even somewhat tingling).  Not too bad...  The finish is rather short but enjoyable on some additional chocolate aromas (both milk and dark chocolate). 

This is a real surprise, never had such a malted grain style whisky before and to be honest - I like it.  Of course, one should not compare this to traditional malts but it is a fresh new taste in the whisky scene for sure...  And the price is quite attractive.

Weighted Rate
82.9
Nose
82
Initial taste
81
Body
83
Finish
82
Price
88
Presentation
85
There is no accounting for taste...
jankes
Expert Senior jankes Review note
04 Nov 2017 8:29 pm
jankes gave this whisky 78 points
Weighted Rate
78.3
Nose
79
Initial taste
79
Body
78
Finish
77
Price
78
Presentation
79
Cubey666
Expert Senior Cubey666 Review note
20 Sep 2017 12:18 pm
Cubey666 gave this whisky 83 points

Tasted at WTF2017 - August 2017

Older Loch Lomond whisky wasn't really one of my favourites, but I heard good stories about it lately, including the hype around the "law and order Whiskynerds bottlings" So i gave this one, together with the standard Inchmurrin 12, the Madeira finish and the peated Inchmoan a try. I must say, am impressed, quality drams.

For this one: tasty sweet single (barley) grain. soft sweet body with banana, vanilla and creamy goodness

Weighted Rate
82.8
Nose
84
Initial taste
81
Body
84
Finish
82
Price
83
Presentation
83
My Collection
jazzpianofingers
Connoisseur jazzpianofingers Note
22 May 2017 11:37 pm
jazzpianofingers gave this whisky 78 points

https://whiskylovingpianist.wordpress.com/2017/05/22/the-loch-lomond-group/

The grain used here is malted barley but because it's distilled in those hybrid coffee stills, they cant legally [SWA] call this anything but single grain - even though the grain is malted barley. Clear?

  • N: Smells good for a very young grain spirit as it turns out. Noses like a vanilla-led bourbon which is apt.
  • T: Accessible salted barley with a soft, citrus acidity.
  • F: Greenish vanilla finish.
  • C: Amazingly it's only 3-4 years old but performing just fine. Using new & first-fill casks to speed up the process, is this the Kavalan of single grain? I much prefer it to the MM 1996 WB version for sure. [£20 May ’17]


Scores a D[+]

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  




Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 


Copyright © 2017


Forgot your password?

Login