- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- 1st Release
- American Oak Ex-Bourbon & Oloroso Sherry Cask
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 1000 ml
- Bottled for
- Travel Retail Exclusive
- Added on
- 19 Oct 2016 7:35 pm by pacsac
3 × in wishlist
35 × member ratings
74 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Balblair 1999
6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.61 points
- Aroma: caramel, honey, freshly chopped ginger, dried pear, vanilla bun with sprinkling, malt-grain tones; later tropical fruits (exotic juice), white raisins, a hint of minerality, chalk.
Taste: ginger-honey, chocolate prunes, raisins, espresso, brown sugar, chocolate cake. Thick, bitter-sweet, with light spices and chocolate - very good!
Finish: longer than average, light tingling ginger notes, dark chocolate, coffee, some wood tannins, slowly fading.
The score is 87.5-88.
Bottom line: a very worthy Belbler. A successful selection of Bourbon and Sherry, where more than one type of barrels does not dominate, is quite rich in nuances, considering that this is a middle-aged whisky. A clan trait is traced like in the young Belblers - ginger, honey. In general, successful, matured whisky, recommendations to buy!
- Bought the 1999-2017 version of this and loved it. Bought another bottle only to realise it was the 1999-2016 release. Not quite as deep or refined as the 17' version but still a great sherried Balblair
Sherry influence is clear, dark fruits, plum and prune, but also the typical Balblair melon, banana, tropical notes. Behind the fruit is spices, white pepper and a hint of fresh chili pepper, finally a hint of mountain flowers, heather.
Immediate sweet fruits - fruit salad with maple syrup, slight bitter oak, spice, coffee, chocolate, moderately oily, sweet but drying towards the end.
Oak, sherry, spices and a hint of smoke. Medium length
- Whisky rather clear compared to the 2nd version. On the nose is quite simple malt fruit dust, white grapes and apples. On the palate it is richer and precise compote of apple and white grape with cinnamon and ginger. Big disappointment on the texture, it lacks mache. Clearly less sherry than the 2nd version but also less fat and less length. I have a preference for the 2nd version 1999/2015
- Pleasant, complex, fruity Balblair with bigger dose of sherry.
Tropical fruits, flowers, honey, raisins and milk caramel.
Spicy oak, cinnamon, citruses, waxy apple. Honey, milk chocolate and sherry.
Medium length, creamy, spicy and fruity.